Repair (left-hand) pedal thread

I have a left-hand pedal crank with a fairly badly stripped thread.

Bearing in mind that I hope never to have to see a stripped pedal thread again (and certainly, not see one again at the bottom of a Spanish mountain, but that's a different story) is it even worth trying to repair it with a kit or getting it repaired by a garage?

It was only a cheap crank to begin with.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

Left hand thread inserts in 'standard' sizes are near impossible to find, pedal threads are even more oddball. Machining it out fitting a plain insert and retapping probably far too costly in machine shop time unless you 'do it yourself'

Buy a new one

Reply to
The Other Mike

Is it not possible to buy the spares? Is it an internal tread that could be repaired by a helicoil? Not that I've ever seen a left hand thread version of one - and standard ones cost enough.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If it's a cheap crank and a reasonably fit cyclist, just buy a new one. On a child's bike and if there are still some threads left so that you can get some "pinch" you might get away with filling the gap with araldite or JB weld (clean thoroughly to get rid of all grease and as much debris as possible, and use heat to get flow).

Reply to
newshound

For a cheap left hand crank? Not worth it. But it can be done:

Alan Braggins

I think it's easy enough to get inserts or helicoil-type devices for left-hand threads, but they aren't cheap enough for it to be worthwhile.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

As I said, I've never seen them. But the inserts themselves could be fairly cheap - but would the fitting kit be? And do modern bikes use common threads?

If it's a common problem and repairs are possible and cheaper than new parts wouldn't a decent bike shop be able to do it? It's often cheaper to have one thread helicoiled professionally than to buy the kit to DIY.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you think that they are easy to get then please enlighten us all with a link or even just the name of a supplier or manufacturer.

Pedal repair kits are here, that is assuming you have 9/16" 20 tpi threads

The Other Mike

Haven't you just done that below?

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

And the correct drill might also cost an arm and a leg.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No, that's just one very specific application that fits some, but not all pedals.

LH inserts are *not* generally available, Armstrong (Helicoil UK) in Hull will do specials if you need tens of thousands of inserts.

You said "I think it's easy enough to get inserts or helicoil-type devices for left-hand threads" If so then please tell me where I can source these, happy to buy full kits and 100 inserts.

M6 x 1 LH M10 x 1 LH M14 x 1.25 LH M24 x 1.5 LH

3/8" 16 LH 1" 24 LH
Reply to
The Other Mike

It'll fit nearly all pedals.

If this is some sort of challenge you're anxious to win, then please don't let me deprive you of that pleasure.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida