Repainting corroded (but good!) DG windows

Howdy

Our house is equipped with some excellent DG windows, installed 30 or more years ago. They are large units that were installed into the original (1960s) windows frames when the house was perhaps 20 years old. These units have already outlasted 3 of the 5 DG windows that were installed in our extension now 15 years old.

One problem: these units are all edged with a strip of metal tape. I've repeatedly tried to paint this strip neatly as I've redecorated over the years, but it's continued to corrode and mould away, until now it's completely un-patchable on all the units. It's a right mess (so are the frames, though the timber's solid enough.

Two embarrassingly horrendous pictures here:

(I hope you can see them: first time I've ever tried to publish pics on the web.)

I'm thinking of cutting the tape away completely, and perhaps replacing it by a thin bead of silicon, which I'll then paint over to blend it with the frame.

Any comments, anyone?

Cheers John

Reply to
John L