Repacing under-countertop Belfast sink..

..with stainless steel?

A friend moved into a house with black polished stone countertops and a

60cm wide Belfast sink fitted underneath. She hates it.

She's has a couple of folk in about changing the sink and they want to pull the whole countertop off and redo everything which seems a bit of overkill to me.

My friend would prefer stainless steel but it needs to be something that will fit *beneath* the counter and no wider than the present sink. All s/s sinks that I've seen for under-counter fitting still have significant flanges that might make the overall width too large to fit between the existing units. The front of the sink (the wall facing into the kitchen) also needs to be presentable as the countertop has a 'U' shaped cutout for the existing Belfast sink.

Can you get "bespoke" s/s sinks that might make a straight swap easier? Links/suggestions much appreciated. The more I think about it the more I'm thinking getting an acceptable appearance might be difficult. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

A good fabricator who does commercial kitchens should be able to make you a bespoke sink. Probably won't be cheap, they might not even want to get involved.

If you can find an off the shelf one which is OK apart from the flanges, it's not too difficult to trim them (with an angle grinder, of course) although you may lose some of the overall stiffness. You might be able to recover that with judicious placement of (say) 18 mm ply, or a fabricator might make an external "basket", or weld suitable stiffeners on the outside. There are various options for making the front face "presentable". One would be with a custom plywood infill which could either be painted or tiled, another would be to get a stainless fabricator to make a suitable insert.

Reply to
newshound