renovation costs

We're looking at an old 3 bed Victorian Terrace in need of modernisation. We reckon it needs a fair bit doing- here's the list:

Replacement floors to ground floor Timber preservation treatment Repointing Rewiring Replumbing Central heating New bathroom and toilet New window to bathroom New kitchen Replacement windows to rear kitchen Conversion of rear utility room to shower / wc. Landscaping of front and rear gardens Rebuilding of garden boundary walls front and rear Damp proof course /replastering New ceilings to first floor rooms Redecoration throughout Structural reinforcement of cellar walls

2 builders we've spoken to have estimated between =A350 & 60k for the work but we think it could be more - (working on the principle that old houses always bring surprises). We plan on doing some of the work ourselves and we think it's got real potential to be a lovely home but could also be a money pit. Being novices any opinions on the realism of these estimates gratefully received. TIA J
Reply to
jonnypn

Can't really help you that much, but you can guarantee that it will cost around 15 to 20 per cent more of whatever you originally budgeted for!,....

Reply to
tony sayer

projects always go over time and overbudget, especially if youre a novice. ensure purchase price reflects work cost, or you end up out of pocket as well as inconvenienced also budget for months of your time, during which you wont have time for a paid job.

get 1 room livable, plus woeking bog and bath, otherwise its real stressful.

Finally if youre willing to take in the rougher kind of lodgers you might get some of it done for free in exchange.

Oh, DPCs are rarely an appropriate solution to damp in Vic houses. Suggest doing some reading:

bigcat

Ok not the same but this was for the south east, I estimated we would spend about 10k and its gone upto 11k. The house was a 3 bed terrace bout 1960s so not victorian, need new central heating new kitchen new windows new bathroom suite, new flooring (Not boards, but tiles/ carpet) oh and new wiring.

Admitefly I did most the work except the windows and heating myself so bought the cost down

My bro had repointing done to the front of his house, was a semi thre bed victorian house that cost him 1000 pluse scafolding All in all I would say your looking at 30k or more depending on quality and how much you do yourself but get yourself a builder to quote you on the work

Reply to
Oliver

ok so just re read the post was meant to put 60k not 30, I would have the house if it need 30k spending on it :p

Reply to
Oliver

In message , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

Where is the house - in manchester, with a list like this, I would guess at £40K + VAT, so not far off £50K... and, as you say, there are always some surprises and extras, so £60K/70K may be nearer the mark.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

snip

It's in North Herts Richard. Thanks to all thus far -- v.interesting. Any more opinions gratefully received. J

Reply to
jonnypn

Hmm ... some of that sounds familiar.

Its difficult to comment on the quotes but I have found that above whatever is agreed with a builder and any extras you ask for along the way, the little things (sealant, paint, screws etc) tend to add up quite a bit very quietly.

As an aside, from your original question one of the things I wish I had considered more carefully is the what to repair and what to replace. There are things in my house that I now wish I had ripped out and started afresh. One the other hand there may be things you'll regret removing later.

Also, some of the builders I have spoken too will lead you by the nose (and make you pay for it!) and others who will do precisley what you say no matter where it leads, even if there are better and cheaper solutions to things.

HTH,

Alex.

Reply to
AlexW

work but we think it could be more -

It will be. Also the fact you are actually seeing this house may mean that the usual professional developers have passed up on it as overpriced. Think VERY carefully before proceeding.

Reply to
Mike

I'd recommend finding a local pro - perhaps an architect or structural engineer - who knows the area well. And ask for his recommendations as to what actually needs doing. You might even try your local council BCO. Really, a sort of clerk of works who could say whether an estimate is decent and supervise that it's done to spec.

Of course a good honest builder would be the ideal. But if you're new to the area, finding one can be difficult.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)