rendering inside old stone fireplace...

Old random rubble built stone fireplace.

I want to render it (plaster will I think struggle with stove heat?) then paint it.

So how to prep the sooty old stone for best adhesion of the render?

What mix for the render?

What paint?

TIA

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Will you have a heat source (eg stove) in there?

If so, here's what I did with a brick fireplace:

Wire brush the surface of soot.

Paint on a slurry of white cement (eg Snocrete) to aid adhesion.

Apply render of snocrete/lime/silversand (play sand).

This gets a very light render. Then paint with a genuine lime wash (which you make yourself using the same lime you bought for the render).

That's heatproof and white in final finish.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Cement on stone is not best practice. Sometimes when it comes off years later it pulls a layer of the stone off with it. And there are other downsides. Lime mortar would be better, 3:1 sand & lime.

Basic lime paint doesn't mind heat. Mix builder's lime with water to make a putty, dilute 50/50 and paint on thinnish. It looks far too thin at first but isnt, it bodies up twice after painting.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Oh dear, Mrs Lime Mortar strikes again.

I wonder why the industry abandoned lime as soon as Portland cement became available?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm not a Mrs.

Portland sets much quicker, so new builds can progress faster.

etc

NT

Reply to
meow2222

/Tim Watts

If so, here's what I did with a brick fireplace:

Wire brush the surface of soot.

Paint on a slurry of white cement (eg Snocrete) to aid adhesion.

Apply render of snocrete/lime/silversand (play sand).

This gets a very light render. Then paint with a genuine lime wash (which you make yourself using the same lime you bought for the render).

That's heatproof and white in final finish/q

Yes there'll be a stove there after.

What was the mix ratio for the render?

Cheers Jim K

Reply to
JimK

/ snipped-for-privacy@care2.com

- show quoted text - Cement on stone is not best practice. Sometimes when it comes off years later it pulls a layer of the stone off with it. And there are other downsides. Lime mortar would be better, 3:1 sand & lime.

Basic lime paint doesn't mind heat. Mix builder's lime with water to make a putty, dilute 50/50 and paint on thinnish. It looks far too thin at first but isnt, it bodies up twice after painting.

NT /q

In this instance losing the top surface would not be a bad thing.

How long does lime render take to set?

I've used bog standard masonry paint before without issues..

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

1:1:6 IIRC - (Cement:lime:sand)

The cement slurry to paint on first will just be a mix of cement/water to a honey like consistency.

Snowcrete is expensive, but it's worth it to get a very light mix, as is some "play sand" (easiest way IME to buy a small amount of silver sand).

Unless of course you are not going for a white finish, in which case use normal render ingredients :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

1:1:6 with cement will set in the usual short time (hours/day).

The lime is there to make it more plastic and less likely to crack when it gets hot.

Reply to
Tim Watts

It's now a good couple of years since our woodburner was put in. We've been told to use ordinary emulsion on the cement (?) finish behind the stove. We'll see.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Ordinary emulsion seems OK here after a couple of winters. The wall only gets warm, not hot.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice