Rendering dried too quickly

I replaced some rendering on the side of the house over the weekend but in spite of my best efforts to try and keep it damp it has already dried out in this hot weather. It's quite hard so I am not too worried, but my question is a general one - if a cement mixture dries out before it has cured properly, when it gets damp again through rain or atmospheric moisture, does the hardening process recommence or does it stay as is?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Watson

You've used the correct word-CURED. To encourage a full cure in hot weather, wet wall before starting, and wet regularly for next 2/3 days. An incomplete cure will mean less strength. when it gets damp again through rain or atmospheric

I doubt it. The moisture would not penetrate far enough. But don't worry it's probably OK. My field test is to score surface with a nail after 4/5 days, if you make only a slight mark, the cure is finished.

-- Olav Marjasoo Overlooking the Clyde, West Coast of Scotland

Reply to
Olav Marjasoo

I think bonding agents like PVA have overcome these problems.

Reply to
stuart noble

I put it to you that it is very unlikely that cement render, or even cement mortar, was used on many houses much before 1920, let alone 1850.

________________________________________________________________ Sent via the PAXemail system at paxemail.com

Reply to
jerrybuilt