Rendering a cellar wall

Hi I have a very dusty coal cellar. In a victorian terraced house.

It is bounded on one side by a party wall and the other side by a loose cement block (1.5 m high - through to the other party wall) the joists rest on this block. The resulting space is about 5m by 1.5m.

The party wall is brickwork, which I've painted and relatively clean. The opposite wall - just touching it produces alot of dust.

I don't want to lag/tank the cellar, just want to reduce the dirt and make it suitable for storage (hopefully wine)

I'm going to place PVC web matting with air holes on the floor, to stop bringing dirt through the house but allow original floor to breathe.

Thought of getting the opposite wall rendered. Any special pointers for mix additives?

Is there something that can quickly be done?

Thought about painting - but how to seal the wall? Preparing it by brushing just produces more dust.

Thanks

Reply to
yitzak

A 5:1 mix of PVA glue should seal it

Reply to
Dave Jones

Limewash.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

| Hi I have a very dusty coal cellar. In a victorian terraced house. | | It is bounded on one side by a party wall and the other side by a loose | cement block (1.5 m high - through to the other party wall) the joists | rest on this block. The resulting space is about 5m by 1.5m. | | The party wall is brickwork, which I've painted and relatively clean. | The opposite wall - just touching it produces alot of dust. | | I don't want to lag/tank the cellar, just want to reduce the dirt and | make it suitable for storage (hopefully wine) | | I'm going to place PVC web matting with air holes on the floor, to stop | bringing dirt through the house but allow original floor to breathe. | | Thought of getting the opposite wall rendered. Any special pointers for | mix additives? | | Is there something that can quickly be done? | | Thought about painting - but how to seal the wall? Preparing it by | brushing just produces more dust.

Is the wall damp? If so dry lining may be the only answer. If it is very damp there may be no answer. In the West Riding some cellars flood on occasion and there is almost nothing which can cure that.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Easily applied by garden sprayer, 3 or 4 coats will result in a tough skin of pva plastic firmly locking in any dust. Works great in dusty lofts too...

Reply to
Steve Walker

I'll try uni-bonding - good idea - won't have to get people in to do it either. If it doesn't work well it wont have wasted alot of time or money.

Like it more than rendering - should manage to keep mess to a minium.

Thanks

Reply to
yitzak

I'd have said that too, but I'm not sure that I understand quite what the OP was describing.

Reply to
Rob Morley

No Dave - the wall I want to seal is dry the floor is damp.

Dave Fawthr>

Reply to
yitzak