Render Options - Advice Needed

Hi Guys

I am at the builder quotation stage for some improvement works on a rear flat roof extension. Because the bricks used originally were nowhere near a match for the main house, I am considering getting the extension rendered on completion. The planners suggested a Tyrolean finish which has been used fairly widely on new builds locally. So far I have had two builders visit, the latter said that he would not apply this finish on principle claiming that it was not UV stable!

Any comments on the "better" option for rendering (or alternative finish) gratefully received.

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

dyebrick.com Render is, or should be, a last resort finish.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Very common around Aberdeen to cover a granite rubble wall - using dressed stones only for the front. Roughcast done properly has a fair old life. Not so sure about pebble dash etc on a brick wall that's more likely to move a bit.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks BigCat

Is this a recommendation from experience, or just a "passed on link"? The problem I have is that the extension has been built in bricks that are basically yellow - yeuch. So I would be looking to literally change the colour from that to a colour similar to the sample house shown on the dyebrick site. Don't know why anyone would be daft enough to build an extension to a red brick house in yellow brick, but our predecessor did so we're trying to make the best of a bad job!

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Probably 0.01p cheaper. Nowt so strange as folks.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That looks interesting: wish I'd known about that a few months ago when I was trying to decide what to do with a red brick wall from which the render had been removed leaving 'orrible grey stains all over.

Mind you, considering how long it must take to paint a house with that stuff (presumably it's one brick at a time, avoiding the mortar?) maybe it's no bad thing I *didn't* know about it, or I'd probably be still painting...

David

Reply to
Lobster

I've not used them myself, have seen one or 2 others recommend them. So more a link than a recommendation - but dye will generally be a better option than render, if you can get the right colour.

Odd. Must have picked up a job lot price or something - yellows are traditionally more money. IIRC MgSO4 is worked into the clay to stop the iron oxide red colour forming.

Render can cause various problems, and doesnt look anywhere naer as good. Better avoided if you've got a satisfactory alternative.

These folks know a bit about it all:

bigcat

Pebbledash done properly lasts just as long. I wouldn't suggest using either if there's any chance of people coming into contact with it though, as they can cause some skin wounds - a smooth/ polished render finish would be better in this case.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Paint?

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England |""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs / ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc |____|

01359 230642

Reply to
Anna Kettle

and rough finishes get filthy, much worse than smooth.

Reply to
bigcat