Removing wallpaper which has been painted over

The vinyl wallpaper in my kitchen has been painted over with white emulsion by the previous owner. I sense that this may be a swine to strip back to plaster. Am I right or will lashings of water & a hand paper stripper do the job?

1970s house, so I expect the base plaster to be mostly intact!

Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

Just did a whole house that has had what you described, though it wasn't White it was Green.... Must admit most came off pretty easy with a wall paper striper. But in places that it didn't want to come off it just didn't, (Luckily it wasn't massive areas) just really tricky ones, like the toilet being the smallest room in the house I managed to turn the entire room into a Turkish sauna. The paint went to some gooey consistency and got everywhere. It my experience those roller spiky things didn't really do much apart from leave marks on the walls. Best thing I found was to score gently with a sharp Stanley careful not to attack the plaster. Good luck its not a nice job if it doesn't come of easily J

Reply to
John Borman

. Best thing I found was to score gently

Thanks.

  1. Score with a Stanley knife
  2. Douse with warm water
  3. Scrape off

Its a lovely feeling when big sections just fall off the wall after following this procedure. But its a pain when sections remain stubbornly stuck to the wall!

Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

Reply to
John Borman

Wouldn't even attempt it without one. I removed all the lining paper from my downstairs, ceilings included and this was one hell of a job. I also had to get most walls skimmed again due to the horrors it was covering up. The little ones you can buy from BandQ are not bad either and as others have said score first. Oh and buy one of those super scrapers the ones with razor blades in but be careful you dont damage the wall with it or accidently slip and injure the Mrs however tempting it may be, they work great.

HTH

Richard

Reply to
r.rain

By hand, as in without steam assistance, it will be a pain and slow. If you haven't alreday got one get a steam stripper, they really do speed up the pentration of moisture through to the old paste. I'd use one of the spiked wheely things (one with 3 set of wheels rather than just one) rather than a stanley knife.

Another poster has already mentioned that the emulsion will soften, it will but as there is not a great deal of water about with a steamy stripper it soon dries, likewise the stripped paper. Thats another advantage of the steam method, no heaps of sodden paper to deal with.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Bruce wrote | The vinyl wallpaper in my kitchen has been painted over with | white emulsion by the previous owner. | I sense that this may be a swine to strip back to plaster. | Am I right or will lashings of water & a hand paper stripper do | the job? | 1970s house, so I expect the base plaster to be mostly intact!

Vinyl paper will often pull off in almost whole sheets, if you start at an edge, leaving a slightly furry base layer which is usually ok for wallpapering or tiling on. It won't take emulsion paint though.

Owain

Reply to
Owain