Removing wallpaper border from painted (vinyl?) wallpaper

My study used to be the previous owner's toddler's room, and is cosily decorated, except for the Winnie the Pooh border right around the middle of it. Any ideas on the best way to get this off without damaging the wallpaper underneath? It's painted a colour I quite like, and seems to be some sort of emossed patterned vinyl (but it might just be paper). I've tried gently peeling the border off, but it leaves bits behind. I've checked the archives, but can't find anything specific about this. Ta! Robert

Reply to
Robert Campbell

Impossible,however have you thought about painting it a complimentry colour to the main colour?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

You can SEE the walls in your study?

You haven't enough shelving or notice boards :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Or finding another border to stick on top of it?

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

Harry Pooter.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

That was one of my options - probably the easiest, I suppose...

Reply to
Robert Campbell

What happens if you dampen it? If it's vinyl underneath it should be OK if you're careful.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Sorry to F.U. to own post.

Just to add you can buy self adhesive borders that might make it a fairly quick and painless task.

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

Where does he expect you get free paint from?

Reply to
Andy Wade

:-) Ony the colour is free. He has to pay for the paint.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Havn't you finished with that 5 litres you hitched from B&Q?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

That's harking back to the days before these new-fangled ready mixed paints...

Reply to
Andy Wade

It's been a long time since we bought paint ...

However, we're going to have to. The paper in our smallest room has suddenly begun first oozing and how leaping off the wall. I blame the wind. He says it's me pulling it off.

Who?

Little me??

I admit that it would be nice to have a change of decoration, preferably plain paint rather than flower-sprigged paper after twenty odd years but I wouldn't go to such lengths, would I ?

WOULD I ??

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Laura Ashley, 1982?

That's typical of old things, they start decaying into decrepitude just as they come back into fashion.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

That's the one - I couldn't think of the name - thanks :-)

Lik me, you mean? LOL

I didn't know it was back in fashion. It was an odd roll we were given way back then - it's only paper half way up, to the - wossisname rail - and the then youngest teenager ragged the upper part. He was studying design and said it was the latest thing (although I remember my mother doing it with distemper in the 1940s)

Now he's a fully qualified, practising and well paid designer and shudders at the sight every time he goes in there!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher