Removing wall paint

"The tiles will only be bonded as strongly as the paint is fixed so it might be a good idea to scarify the paint off and apply primer G before fixing tiling."

This is as far as I know normal emulsion wall paint (could possibly be a slightly water-resistant bathroom type). I've never removed wall paint before; I guess it would be nigh-on impossible if you wanted a finish suitable for painting over, but as something to take tile adhesive I can get a bit more agressive. Any suggestions for how to quickly remove it?

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

Pete Verdon coughed up some electrons that declared:

That's fundamentally true. How do you know though that the finishing plaster under the paint isn't applied directly over some ancient paint? See where I'm going?...

I wouldn't worry about it unless the paint is obviously loose. Mapei have 2 sorts of tech support:

Helpful, eg: "Well, if you must, use X - we're not guaranteeing it for 20-30 years, but the magic crap in it will give you the best chance of all of our products in your awkward situation. It'll probably be fine..."

Arse-covering: "You must scrape off every loose molecule otherwise your entire house will explode!"

BAL Greenstar says to brush and SBR prime polished new plaster. I've never seen anyone go to those lengths before. Though the SBR makes some sense on gypsum in a wet room - though again, considering people tile direct to non water proof plasterboard in showers, it's being a bit pedantic...

How is your paint?

I'd take a scraper to it, or a steel wire brush and if it falls off, it deserved to and if it sticks then it's probably good enough... I've had both types in my house...

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Paint it with a thick coat of "heavyweight" mix wall paper paste, let it stand for an hour (or longer if neccesary) and then scrape off. When all the paint is removed rinse the wall with clean water.

Reply to
Limey Lurker

When I tiled my bathroom I tried several methods of removing the dodgy wall paint. The best by far was to use a hot air gun and a large flat scraper. The paint came off easily in large strips back to the bare plaster, with no damage to the plaster. Before tiling, I resealed the surface with some dilute PVA.

-Antony.

Reply to
Antony

I had an entry way where they had not used primer and the paint kept bubbling off the walls. I found it much easier to put up new sheet rock

- and faster - than to take the paint off.

Reply to
Dymphna