Removing vork tiles from floorboards

We have some really grotty cork tiles glued to the floorboards in the bathroom and toilet.

We would like to lay lino on a flat base, which seems to require the removal of the tiles, as there are various gaps where bits of tile have been removed, floorboards lifted etc.

Is there a simple way of removing these?

Scraping the tiles off is a bit like playing with a tar baby.

TIA

Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

Leave the cork in place, fill the gaps with scraps of tile to make a flat surface.

Reply to
Steve Walker

One of these

and white spirit afterwards.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Might be aard vork though.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Got two of those - with which I had the 'tar bay' experience.

I also tried a long handled scraper but the Screwfix one is not man enough.

Filling in then hardboard may be an option but I don't want to raise the floor level too high.

The main problem is that as soon as you scrape a bit of cork tile off the glue bonds it to the scraper and all the other bits of tile, bathroom furniture, onlookers, children, stray cats etc.

I will have a look round today for arcane bits of kit - but I could really do with a wonder solvent which will soak through the tiles and disolve the glue without running through the floorboards as well.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts