Removing transit wax from ceramic tiles

Anyone got any tips on how to remove the wax that has been dabbed on all 4 corners of every tile?

The last time I had tiles put up the transit wax was 4 sort of spiral shapes in each corner that more or less just fell off when you touched it but these tiles which are textured seem to have the wax smeared in.

I've tried hot soapy water which has been a bit of hit and miss. Some bit will wipe off with a second going over of hot soapy water but the vast majority it didn't touch.

I've tried Autosmarts Tardis which is a glue and tar dissolver and works great on the car but was useless on the tiles.

I've tried Lithofin easy care which has been as effective as soapy water.

I've just bought LTP's grimex but not had a chance to use it yet.

Any tips or suggestions?

Reply to
RoundSquare

Have you tried asking the supplier/manufacturer? They put it on - surely they must know how to get it off!

Reply to
Terry Casey

Yeah I phoned their cleaning / maintenance helpline and they have advised on a product they sell. Maybe I'm just sceptical but the LTP Grimex I bought this morning from another company hasn't really touched it so I doubt a similar product will. I'll maybe take a spare tile over and see what they can prove actually works.

Reply to
RoundSquare

run em through the dishwasher in a hot program?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If it's wax, it should be soluble in white spirit

Reply to
stuart noble

Does it scrape off? In increasing orders of aggressiveness:

The rough side of a nylon pan scourer - possibly used dry.

One of those stainless steel swarf type of scourers, or failing that

a nice sharp wood chisel at a low angle to the tile!

Reply to
John Rumm

I thought you had cracked it there Stuart but the white spirit made no difference to the wax :o( I've been at it most of the day and only managed to clean a handful of tiles and even then when they are dry, there is still remnants of the stuff!!!!

Reply to
RoundSquare

Does anyone know how to clean a dishwasher that some f****it has dumped wax in? In the colder parts of it, i.e. the outlet, this wax will set, even on a hot cycle.

As Stuart says, white spirit should shift wax. If it doesn't, switch to acteone.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

You *almost* said "angle grinder", didn't you?

Reply to
Ronald Raygun

Although soluble in white spirit, waxes are not always completely soluble at room temperature. Have you tried a hot air gun? Most will even soften with a hair dryer at max temp. Failing that I'd go straight to a methylene chloride paint stripper (Nitromors etc). That will dissolve anything IME. Coarse wire wool to collect the gunk.

I had a similar thing on the back of a few tiles where I think they had been fixed to a display panel in the shop. A dab on each corner that I couldn't get off for fear of breaking the tile.

Reply to
stuart noble

A powerful, yet benign, cleaner is one of the "Mr Clean" white melamine foam blocks (always used wet). These are surprisingly good for paint, burned on crud etc. on ceramics that you really don't want to scratch.

You can also carve them and cast pewter in there!

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Sorted guys. Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I bought a few different scratch free scouring pads and these never made much head way. One dab of wax was taking around 30 minutes to completely disappear. I also tried the pads with some special tile cleaner and it looked to have done the trick but it only looked that way because it was wet!! As soon as I dried it, most of the wax was still there. The hairdryer was next but nothing. White spirit and isopropyl alcohol done nothing. I have a few spare tiles so thought bugger it, they are getting the steel wheel treatment but as I went to get some I noticed the Mrs had a metal scouring brush a bit like steel wool but one that doesn't disintegrate and leave strands of the steel everywhere. Gave that a go and it removed the wax in seconds with no scratching. I just need to pick a new one up that hasn't got food remnants left on it ;o) Also when I ran the shower (first time it had been tried out) the steam in the actual shower enclosure loosened the wax to the extent a lot of it just wiped off with a cloth.

Thanks again guys.

Reply to
RoundSquare

replying to RoundSquare, Richard William Dunville wrote: Razor blade on smooth surface, if your surface is uneven, try a magic eraser, last if it's really tough, there is a product called nanoscrub, tile suppliers will know who makes it.

Reply to
Richard William Dunville

But the answer to this was posted 8 years ago by the OP. A scouring pad.

I think Home Owners Hubbub is the winner here as they have tempted me to answer. I have thus added to the number of visitors to their site full of stolen newsgroup postings. So they can quote higher site visits and sell more advertising.

I'm a Home Owners Mug, I suppose.

Reply to
Bill