Removing tiles without breaking?

I'm re-fitting my kitchen and don't have quite enough tiles. The ones I'm removing are mounted on chipboard, with waterproof adhesive.

Any suggestions how to remove them without breaking them?

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

VERY CAREFULLY!

;-)

Steve

Reply to
R.P.McMurphy

B-)

It really depends on how well stuck they are. If they are well stuck I'd say you are on a hiding to nothing. You could try soaking for several hours and/or a steam wallpaper stripper type thing to soften the goo. A large flat cold chisel, a bolster might be to thick and not allow you to get close enough to the wall. Experiment, does getting the sharp edge right along the goo line a single sharp tap bring the tile off or do you need to gently weedle something thin in and basically cut the tile off?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Always, always buy overs. Topps tiles take them back without a quibble.

Good luck getting the old ones off. Thin stripping scraper behind the tile /might/ loosen it. Can't you get a match at any local tile warehouses ?

P.

Reply to
zymurgy

Try removing the tiles complete with chipboard and soak in water for a few days - the adhesive should release from the chipboard then you'll just need to carefully scrape it off the tiles. Steaming might help.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Taking them off plaster with a bolster chisel about 1/2 came off intact (often bringing plaster with them). If they're on chip I would soften the chip with water and scrape it off the tiles. Waterproof adhesive is softened by paint stripper or heat (but not through the tiles - they'd crack)

Reply to
Chris Hodges

No, just add more vinegar and wrap in newspaper.

Oh! *Chipboard*?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Sounds a bit fishy to me.