Removing tiles: implements used

I want to remove a couple of square metres of 15cm wall tiles in my kitchen. Then replace with new ones. My first ever tiling job.

  • Will a 2 inch electricians bolster + rubber mallet be OK for removing the tiles (traditional brick + plaster wall).

  • Once the tiles are removed, what can I use to flatten out any remaining adhesive -- chisel, screwdriver etc.?

  • I was thinking once the tiles are off, maybe it would be a good time to paint my skirting board. I can then retile and get a neat finish with no paint drips on the tiles. A good strategy?

Thanks Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

Why a rubber mallet?? You need a lump hammer. Better still, you need an SDS + chisel.

Reply to
Grunff

Provided you replace the rubber mallet with a big solid hammer, it will work, but will be a considerable effort and will leave large lumps of adhesive and shards of tile. Using an SDS chisel will result in a pleasant job that removes the tiles whole, with minimum adhesive left behind.

I remove any large bits with the SDS chisel and then smooth off with a belt sander and coarse belt.

Does gravity go upwards round your way? ;-)

I got the best results by remove the skirting, tiling and then putting new skirting and coving on top of the tiles, using caulk to fill between. However, this is far more effort than what you propose. Personally, I think you are more likely to get adhesive and grout onto the skirting, rather than paint onto the tiles, which will clean up without problem anyway. Therefore, I would paint last if keeping the skirting, using an acrylic paint.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I haven't got a lump hammer, just a small nail hammer. I haven't got any powertools either, this project is being done on the cheap (white tiles at 10p apiece!)

Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

Ok, but what makes you think a rubber mallet is suitable? Almost anything is better than a rubber mallet for this. A chunk of rock would be better, or a piece of 4x2. But really, just go and buy a lump hammer, they're under £5.

Reply to
Grunff

Just put the new tiles on top of the old ones :)

Reply to
Dragon77

The tiles I took off just before Xmas took most of the plaster with them. No need to smooth off, had to replaster instead.

Best of luck,

Lawrence

Reply to
Lawrence Milbourn