Removing then screwing in gas oven

Hi,

To do some work in my kitchen, I'm considering unsrewing my gas cooker, removing it from the kitchen to clear some space to work in, then screwing it back in again. It's a bayonet fitting IIRC - do I need to get a CORGI plumber to a) unscrew it and b) screw it back in again? Or can I do this myself?

I guess plan b is just to leave it in place and work around it...

Thanks,

Jon

Reply to
Jon

It's just like removing and replacing a light bulb! Do it yourself.

Reply to
Geoffrey

Thanks for the advice - yeah, from what I remember this is v simple to do (using a light bulb-type fitting on cooker was a remarkably sensible idea). Being as I'm not changing the cooker, cooker location or anything like that - apart from raising it about 1cm higher by putting a new floor under it - I take it there's no complicating factors to bear in mind?

Also, I know there were regulations put in about this in '98 and was wanting to check there wasn't a legal requirement to pay a CORGI-registered plumber 50 quid to screw in the cooker ;) Wouldn't want to go against regulations...and if you are meant to do this I could do the work I wanted in the kitchen by just pulling the cooker out a bit but leaving it screwed in...

Cheers,

Jon

Reply to
Jon

Hang on - is the OP talking about *unscrewing* the whole bayonet fitting, or uncoupling the male and female fittings? I read the former, which is not on unless he's 'competent' to work with gas...

David

Reply to
Lobster

Lobster,

Sorry if the original post wasn't clear - I just meant detaching the male and female fittings as you would when removing then replacing a bayonet lightbulb (I've got the habit of talking about 'unscrewing' bayonet lightbulbs for some reason, and it obviously carried across to my writing about cookers :) ). I just want to detach the cooker from the pipe/wall - I've no desire to move where the actual fitting is or anything like that.

If I just just want to uncouple the male and female fittings, am I meant to get a CORGI plumber to do this or is it legal to do so myself?

Cheers,

Jon

Reply to
Jon

Just do it yourself ..Thats what these fittings were made for ..If u havent done it before ( as I suspect) then be prepared for it being tight ..Hold the female fitting firmly while turning the male part and when refitting push firmly .Also cover up the fittings while apart to avoid dirt getting in .

Stuart

Shift THELEVER to reply.

Reply to
Stuart

Cheers - will cover the fittings while apart to keep the dirt out (will be generating some dirt through work done in the kitchen, so that's definitely a good idea). Any other issues to bear in mind? Or aside from that is it straightforward?

Jon

Reply to
Jon

It's quite a straightforward procedure Stuart

Shift THELEVER to reply.

Reply to
Stuart

The bayonet is (bloody well ought to be) self sealing. The open end faces downward (well it ought to) so that dirt does not get in easily.

There is a significant difference between (dis)connecting a cooker which is already installed (a user activity) and installing/replacing a cooker.

The law defines certain activities as "Gas Work" and these have to be done by competent people. For this reason new cookers are not sold with hoses these are supplied by the installer. There is quite a bit more to do than simply screwing the hose in to the cooker and pushing the appliance into place.

HTH

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Cheers. So just disconnecting a cooker that's already there, then reconnecting it later, is not 'gas work' (and is therefore a user activity)?

Anyway, I've looked behind the cooker now and it is a bayonet fitting; the open end faces horizontally (so I will be sure to cover it to avoid dirt...) but aside from that looks fine...

Jon

Reply to
Jon

From the title I thought you wanted to go one better then the "stick head in a gas oven", and perform some accrobatics with your partner in an oxyegen free environment ........

Reply to
Rick

I believe that it is as much 'gas work' as is soldering on a new copper spur. Neither requires any paperwork, if you are doing the work yourself.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Just make sure it has cooled down ...lol Stuart

Shift THELEVER to reply.

Reply to
Stuart

So if this classes as 'gas work' the issue's just whether I (or the slightly more knowledgable mate who's helping me out) am competant to do the work then?

"From the title I thought you wanted to go one better then the "stick head in a gas oven", and perform some accrobatics with your partner in an oxyegen free environment ........ " Now that would be a difficult piece of DIY ;) Must be spending too long reading about defense spending - the innuendo's starting to wear off...Someone must have been laughing when they decided to call a missile a 'penaid'....

Jon

Reply to
Jon

Apply a sparing wipe of silicone grease such as gas tap grease to the male spigot when you push it back in as this will ease things a lot and save damage to the sealing ring within the socket

Reply to
John

Only if there's a stability bracket (like 2 L-shaped metal brackets fixed together) fixed to the wall or floor at the back of the cooker: after raising the floor you need to make sure that this bracket still engages in the corresponding slot in the back of the cooker so that it prevents the cooker being tipped forward if you (or a child) were for instance to put your weight on the oven door when it's open.

If you don't have this sort of bracket you should have a chain fixed to the back of the cooker (at worktop height) hooking over a corresponding hook fixed to the wall.

If you don't have either you should fit one to comply with the gas regs. It would be heresy to question this.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Cheers. Will bear all that in mind.

Jon