Removing the drum

I bet you feel a bit silly now, eh? :)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Er! no I've used a torque wrench to release stubborn cylinder head bolts in the past.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

That should of course read:

"I've incorrectly used a torque wrench to release stubborn cylinder head bolts in the past, because I have a tendency towards cluelessness, and it was the first tool I pulled out of the box. Later that day I used the same wrench to drive home a wheel bearing."

Reply to
Grunff

================================ That would be a quite pointless thing to do and quite likely to damage a torque wrench. Your original suggestion to use a pneumatic drill would be equally pointless since they're normally used for road breaking. The tool you're trying to suggest would be an air impact wrench as used in almost every garage in the country for wheel nuts etc. I doubt if any competent mechanic would resort to using an impact wrench to undo a nut torqued to

48 ft/lbs which is a very moderate setting. A careful mechanic would use a torque wrench to *tighten * to that figure if it was specified.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

The message from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

What are you on? The only possible advantage a torque wrench could have in this situation is they're usually a bit longer than a ratchet. A breaker-bar would be even better.

Reply to
Guy King

Hav'nt you lot heard of a reverseable rachet torque wrench? it's either for lefthand thread or righthand thread,this doesn't mean it'll knacker the torque wrench when using it in the lefthand thread position.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Well certainly not a torque wrench - that could ruin it! If some types are taken beyond their upper limit they become damaged beyond repair. A "Toque Wrench" is designed to take a fastener UP to a torque - not to undo them*. Some old fashioned Britool ones can be used to undo as the lock after 'clicking' but all modern quality ones I know of will be destroyed if taken over max indicated torque. That is to say they will never be accurate again and hence very dangerous. So throw yours away if you can't have it check calibrated, don't to keep it - some fool might use it for something important and believe the reading.

One uses a "breaker bar" or similar to undo fasteners.

Slatts.

  • OK there are exeptions to that but lets not get too clever here :-)
Reply to
Sla#s

Look, you're either incredibly dim, or you just don't have the ability to admit you're wrong.

There are many torque wrenches that /could/ be used to undo a tight nut, but there is no reason on earth why you would ever want to use a torque wrench to undo a nut - get it?

Reply to
Grunff

They are to DO UP left hand threads NOT to undo right threads!

Slatts

Reply to
Sla#s

=============================== It's reversible so that it can be used to *tighten* both left-hand and right-hand threaded nuts / bolts.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Show me the law that says you cant use a RTW for undoing stubborn nuts/bolts. Thats me final response,happy now.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Right at the start of Google "Use of Torque wrenches": "Do not use the torque wrench to loosen tight fasteners since this may damage the ..."

many others such as "Never use your torque wrench to undo "frozen" nuts/bolts"
" Never use it as a ...conventional wrench..."
"Do not use torque wrenches to break fasteners loose. "
you just looked every single torque wrench manufacture says that!

Slatts

Reply to
Sla#s

Is this going to be a Mary Fisher type last response or do you intend going for good ?

the B-Bin needs to know for sure :)

-
Reply to
Mark

Its tight when new, once corroded its v-very tight you need a slide hammer, which then often breaks the pulley.

-
Reply to
Mark

Tools/Block Sender if you want rid otherwise...

blows raspberry

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

So I take it it slides off, does not unscrew off. From the link to the pic given, and from peering at the central shaft where it goes inside the pulley, I wondered if it actually unscrewed off. If not, I'm a bit surprised it appears to be sitting on a threaded section of shaft.

thanks everyone.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

If I recall correctly...it may be a left hand thread. But presumably you'd have noticed that when you removed the nut!

Reply to
Bob Eager

IIRC, on my old hotpoint, the pully screws off, once you've removed the locking nut. Easiest way is to lock the pully by someone holding a screwdriver through it against some part of the outer drum, and someone else turn the inner drum by hand.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

=============================== This is the kind of tool you need, assuming that the pulley pulls off.

can buy single items at most car spares shops, e.g. Halfords. The pulley can be held on in different ways. Sometimes it's on a tapered shaft and sometimes on a parallel shaft with a 'woodruff key'. Try a bit of WD40 and a little heat from a hot air gun if you can do so without damage to the machine.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

A socket spanner with a long[ish] bar - *not* a torque wrench as you may well damage it. The torque wrench is used for applying a specified torque to a nut *not* for removing tight ones (whether or not they have been tightened with a torque wrench).

Reply to
tinnews