removing stuck car wheels.

I've got a flat tyre on one of my rear wheels, thought it would be a case of jacking it up removing the nuts and giving the tyre/wheel a good kicking and it would fall off but its stuck solid. I've been kicking / hitting / prying the wheel from behind while on axle stands but its still not budging.

The tyre won't hold air for any longer than a couple of minutes so I can't even drive to the local tyre place to let them deal with it.

Anyone any tips on getting it off?

Cheers

Steven.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

An idiotic question, but have all the wheel nuts/studs been removed? Generally if they have, and you have a 'stuck' wheel, then giving a 'good rocking' by pulling backwards and forwards on the top of the tyre usually resolves this - unless it is an exotic car with a taper on the centre of wheel and held on by a single 'big nut'.

If you really cannot get the wheel off, then buy a can of tyre repair 'goo' and put this in the tyre to seal the hole - and drive carefully to the tyre fitters.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

In message , Steven Campbell writes

Unsure whether you have actually removed the wheel nuts - its not clear

Fill it with ultraseal or some other puncture repair then drive off to the local tyre place

Reply to
geoff

Gently lower the jack so that some of the weight is taken on this wheel?

Reply to
Tony Bryer

=A0www.superbeam.com=A0www.greentram.com

Not uncommon for a wheel that's been on for a long time to rust on. It is just a case of brute force - hammer, etc. Dropping the jack so that the weight of the vehicle is on the very loosely bolted on wheel has been known to work. In the extreme, blow the tyre up and drive the car a 100yds or so with the nuts very slack - never had to do this but I'm sure that would work in extremis.

Rob

Reply to
Rob G

And be prepared to pay a little bit more for the work as they will have to (or at least should!) clear up the goo from the wheel.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

After putting the goo in the tyre, you will have to fork out for a new one. The goo works extremely well. I used to use it on my motorcycle in the old days. in this case, it went into the inner tube and prevented further punctures, until I needed a new tyre.

The goo works by entering the puncture from inside the tyre and setting when it comes into contact with the air outside.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

If he has a puncture, he probably needs a new tyre anyway

However, granddad, if you google "ultraseal" you will find that it is claimed to be more than a temporary fix

Which reminds me, having just paid £250 for a pair tyres maybe I should chuck some in.

Surprisingly, I have no inner tubes

Reply to
geoff

Thanks folks. Yes the nuts are all off. I've basically done what I wrote in the first 2 lines but to no avail.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

Cheers. The whole on the tyre is just on the wall of the tyre and no more so I'll need to change the tyre anyway.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

Interesting. After reading your reply I googled a bit and came up with something similar but not sure I'd want to chance it.

also came up with a few sites suggesting that Alloys are especially prone to sticking as they sort of weld themselves to the wheel hub with the heat generated!!!

Reply to
Steven Campbell

With the car jacked up: I would place one end of a piece of wood against the metal part of the wheel, and wack the other end of the piece of wood with a mallet.

Hitting the tyre with the mallet is a waste of time.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Put the nuts back on but leave them very slightly loose - pump the tyre up and drive it around the block. If you can hit a pothole or drop the wheel off a kerb so much the better.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Piece of mild steel with matching holes in it. Suitably shaped thin piece of wood or whatever behind it, against the visible bit of hub. Replace the nuts and tighten a bit at a time.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I used to suffer with a rear alloy wheel on a Cavalier that used to stick fast - just happened to mention it to the guy who came to tow it away for scrap at the end of its life and he passed on the tip.

If your tyre is sidewall punctured then it's dead anyway, and you can't ruin it any further by filling it up with puncture repair foam. It'll get you to the garage, but they might complain about removing the stuff. Alternatively, check whether any local tyre firms do on-site replacement. Might be worth it....last time I bought a couple of tyres I queued up for two hours at Micheldever Tyres before finding out they'd have charged me just £15 or so to come and fit them on site. Cost me a fiver just to drive there and back.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Put the car on axle stands. If its an alloy wheel warm the centre of the hub with a blowlamp. Take care not to overheat. Using a large lump of wood behind the wheel (Scaffold plank or similar) slug the f*ck out of the wheel from behind using a good size sledge hammer. You might need assistance to hold the plank while you slug at it

Other than that being patient with the WD40 *might* do the trick.

If all else failes Kwikfit have a mobile service. I have found them excellent but you may have to wait.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

What's the worry about moving the car with the nuts slightly slack ? I take it you don't recognise the familiar clunking sound of a loose wheel.

First happened to me in remote Turkey over 40 years ago and I thought all hell had broken loose in the transmission - great relief from the party when it was just a loose wheel, and since then it's happened a couple of times over the years. No damage and just tighten them up !!

Rob

Reply to
Rob G

In message , Steven Campbell wrote

When I took my car in for new tyres the wheels were stuck on as described. The fitter used brute force - in a constrained way.

He sat on the ground and with both feet he first kicked (with the heels of his boots) the bottom of the tyre and then turned the tyre through

180 degrees and repeated. From the other side he hit the tyre with lump hammer, turned the tyre trough 180 degrees and hit it again. He repeated this twice before the wheel came off.

This was one of the only tyre places that I've used where they don't just rely on the air gun to do up the wheel nuts. The nuts were first done up with the air gun and then the fitter went around with a torque wrench on all wheel nuts.

Reply to
Alan

In message , geoff wrote

Surely having a liquid sloshing around in a 'new' tyre would cause horrendous out of balance problems at certain road speeds?

If it works by coming into contact with air then at sometime it is going to set when it comes into with the air inside of the tyre. Lets just hope it is not at the low point when the car is sat in a driveway for a week or two.

I have a punctured tyre approximately once every 10 years - with a spare tyre available in the boot if required. Is inserting a goo into the tyre from new a worthwhile insurance policy?

When did car tyres last have inner tubes?

Reply to
Alan