Removing strange old paint

Hello,

I decided to strip the paint from a couple of lengths of picture rail. The top surface came off easily enough with a hot air gun. The underlying "paint" is yellow-white. This paint has not been touched by Nitromors chemical stripper, hot air gun nor butane gas torch. All I have succeeded in doing is scorching the surface which will be a bugger to cover. When I do scrape off the paint it seems to have a "chalky" base. Does anyone know what this stuff is and how I remove it? I'm guessing that paint could go back to the 1930s as the house is a Victorian terrace cottage.

Thanks for ideas

Clive

Reply to
Clive

Possible Distemper paint? or water based?

Reply to
George

I've a feeling it might be part of the system they used to give a wood grain effect - you sort of combed the varnish top coat to allow a degree of the basecoat to show. Was very popular some years ago. Think sanding is the only option.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Be careful it's not a lead based paint, use a mask if you are going to sandpaper it. Don

Reply to
Donwill

Think all lead based paints come off with heat.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

or aresnic

Robert