Removing storage heaters

Sorry for a seperate post - but I forgot to include this in the last one about gloss paint! The flat I am decorating used storage heaters. Is it OK to remove these in order to paint behind them without danger of damaging anything inside ??
NC wrote:

They are usually extremely heavy due to storage bricks. The bricks/elements can be fragile if old.
Thanks for the info. DO they generally just attach via the 'feet', or are there often screws etc protruding from the back into the wall ?? ie, is it likely that I may HAVE to dismantle them in order to get to all the points where they are attached to the wall ??
message

in

(I never thought I'd join in the top-posting wars, but I've never replied to such a thread - it sure does complicate quoting! Please don't do it again.)
Ours (which are generally old) are clipped to the wall via hooks, with the weight taken by feet on the floor. So the damn things *could* be lifted up and moved - if you could lift them. I'd I thought this would be nigh on impossible without removing the contents first.
I'd recommend taking them apart. This normally isn't a problem, but take care unscrewing the elements. The front covers normally have some insulation stuck to the inside, which often attempts to fall off on removal.
HTH     Mike.
--
Dr. Michael Atkinson, GeoQuest Simulation Software Development
Note that email address in the headers is cleared monthly and NOT read.

You can generally unfix (top panel often hides screws) and walk them out far enough to paint/paper, without removing the lead.
But beware, keep them upright! They are absurdly heavy and once they start tipping you won't stop 'em.
--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
I had a play with one of these last night, undid the mounting screws and found itcame away from the wall OK. However, the feet are tucked under the carpet at the moment so I couldn't try 'walking' it out. Assuming I can do this OK, to a safe distance from the wal to allow painting, will I be OK leaving them to stand by themselves, or will I need to prop them up against something ?? Bear in mind that I will have to have them out of the room as I will be laying laminate and putting them back on top. Now, from this comes another question - will I be able to put these ontop of laminate, or am I better cutting grooves for the feet and resting them on the floor beneath ??

Hello NC

They stand pretty well by themselves, the only reason they're supposed to be fixed to the wall is so that little kids don't swing off them and get flat - so ensure you don't let children/pets in the room while it's loose.

Can you not peel back the carpet enough to get a sheet of hardboard/lino or whatever under the feet, then walk the thing away?
--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK

I have one small one in the hallway, and 2 large ones in the lounge and bedroom - I think I will just move the small one, and dismantle the large ones.

I'll be taking the carpet up before I start moving the heaters - replacing it with laminate. My question was if I could stand them on laminate once they are ready to be refitted, or will I have to cut holes in it and stand them on the floor ??
NC wrote:

Stand them on top of the laminate. I know laminate is supposed to float due to expansion but you can't have expansion gaps round every heavy item. The heaters will tend to scratch the laminate uless you take precautions.
also make sure you resecure them to the wall with good fixings,these things are bloody heavy and could seriously injur a child if they come adrift

in
legs
reposition