Removing Shower

Hi

I've been asked to completely remove a defunct electric shower from a bathroom. No replacement, just remove the old one.

I assume Part P allows me to remove if not install, but what is the best way to deal with the cable?

It's wired properly AFAICS from CU to double pole switch to shower.

Is it best to disconnect from switch to shower & leave the cable from CU to switch for possible future use, or safer to disconnect everything?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

If it's an old installation the cable may be underrated for a modern unit so best remove it rather than leave a temptation for a future bodger.

Certainly remove the cable back to the isolating switch, and remove the fuse/breaker at the CU end. Cutting the cable short at the CU would effectively put it beyond use without the need to remove a long run of cable in awkward places.

Reply to
DJC

An interesting question :-)

I would disconnect both L and N of the cable at the CU, as there is probably more room in there to insulate and make safe (insulated choccy block) so the wires can't accidentally touch anything.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

That's what I would do too - I wouldn't cut the cable off as someone else suggested as that would be really annoying if someone wanted to reinstate the circuit in future. It would be a good idea to clearly label the cable so it is obvious where it goes and why it has been disconnected.

Reply to
Richard Conway

Give this guy a call!!

"Alan Bryant of AB Electrics. Possibly the best electrician in the Medway Towns and a very nice man! 01634 660403."

Reply to
John

I would, but alas, he is currently in his villa in Malta. Hard life being a sparky innit!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman