Removing scratches from window panes?

Anyone got any tips for removing scratches from window panes?

Caused by dog jumping up, probably grit in claws (see other threads about filling and replacement doors).

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

Sure it wasn't SWMBO cleaning them while wearing her engagement ring? (that's where mine come from)-: Douglas de Lacey

Reply to
Douglas de Lacey

Possibly jewellers rouge, and a lot of wrist action (missus !)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

That won't happen here. I gave my engagement ring back.

I refused one from the man I married, I'd had one, the novelty had gone, what's the point?

I do have a wedding ring and even know where it is, it's precious. But it hasn't fitted me for years so it's not on a finger. My married status is obvious from the lines on my face :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Makes your arm ache.

So I've 'eard ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Possibly

????

Jim

Reply to
Jim

That looks like the method I use, but the polishing powder is not specified there. If it's Cerium Oxide, you should wear a mask, as it's not good to breathe in Cerium.

I just made a circular pad out of thick leather (soft side out) and use it in an electric drill. Don't keep polishing the same spot too long or the glass will overheat and break. Light scratches can be polished out by hand by wiping the area with wet Cerium Oxide and polishing with a cloth.

Good advice here:

Nick

Know where you can buy jewellers rouge from? Preferably the blocks for buffing use?

Cheers

Reply to
EricP

No, it's too soft. The rouge for glass would need to be cerium oxide. It's obtainable without much trouble, but a tiresome job. I only use it for rescuing bevelled glass mirrors that have got scratched - anything else I replace the glass or mirror.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Trim dogs claws. Cover pads in rouge. Put bowl of food outside window.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Or just leave it and in a couple of hundred years people will flock to see the strange marks made by primitive people in the past and try to work out the meaning.

As today, something which isn't understood will probably be interpreted as "ritual".

We have such a scratched pane. We live in a house which was once my aunt's, the scratches were made by my horrid cousin using her diamond ring to punish her for something, she said. I couldn't care less about it, it doesn't hide the view of the shed.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Many thanks to all, it looks like Cerium Oxide is what I need.

Next question (you know what's coming) where can I buy it in UK?

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

Reply to
Ian Stirling

D'OH! Thanks.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

If you were in Scotland, the scratches would probably have been made by a drunken Rabbie Burns and you could charge admission :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You want a hacking knife, some paint, putty, and a piece or two of glass.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Or Mary, Queen of Scots ... the night before she fled ...

...stoppit! We'll end up on the BBC :-)

Or worse :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Apotropaeic

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The message from Andy Dingley contains these words:

More commonly spelt apotropaic. Particularly for those using usenet which has very iffy support for dipthongs.

Reply to
Guy King

I don't really like them, they're a bit unhygenic.

Reply to
Chris Bacon