Removing scratches from slate

is it blue marble ?

Reply to
Chris Oates

Trying to tidy up a slate surface that has many shallow scractches (deepest probably only 0.2mm, most less than this). Have tried sandpaper, glasspaper, metal sanding disk, rust removing disk, slow speed, high speed, with and without water - all to virtually no avail.

People say thaat slate, being a very soft stone, should sand no problem - where am I going wromg ???

Thanks

Reply to
Stephen Judge

Are you sure it is slate? It could be marble, but that's a soft rock too, or granite, which may be too hard to re-finish by hand. What is the article in question? I would not use a sanding disc on anything that needs to be flat and smooth. Try a sheet of wet'n'dry or similar carborundum paper on a flat block, e.g. a piece of planed timber (use wet if possible with a stream of water).

________________________________________________________________ Sent via the PAXemail system at paxemail.com

Reply to
jerrybuilt