Removing scale from enamel bath

I fitted a new enamel bath a couple of months ago and I've noticed the first traces of scale forming around the plughole. I checked on the instructions for both Viakal and Cillit Bang, both of which say not to be used on enamel. Can anyone recommend something safe? I thought vinegar possibly? - or would this attack the metal plughole?

John

Reply to
Nodge

It might attack the enamel same as the commercial descalers. Enamel may be hard, but its surface is easily attacked by acids, which takes off the shine which in turn makes it harder to clean. Use a bathroom cleaner designed for the job which claims to be safe on enamel.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Krock Jell

Reply to
Old Bill

Diet coke works well on enamel baths (phosphoric acid) and as it doesn't attack drinking glasses (I hope) it won't attack the enamel.

Reply to
Ian Middleton

Whether or not acid attacks the bath depends entirely on the composition of the enamel not the acid.

Old enamels (pre 1970) were designed to be resistant to alkali (such as the sodium hydroxide found in bleach) but not to acids (Viakal contains hydrochloric acid IIRC) and as such _any_ acid (source of hydroxonium ions) will damage it. The rate of damage will depend on the concentration of the acid and a sufficiently weak acid may not produce visible damage for quite some time. Old enamels were very good at high temperatures which is why they were so extensively used.

Modern enamel coatings for things like baths aren't as good at high temperature but are much more resistant to acids. After all no one cooks in a bath so why make it good to 250 deg C? My guess would be that if it is a modern enamel coating it will probably be ok to use mild acids such as lemon juice and coke but _check a small area first_. If it does take the shine off the enamel it is expensive to put it back.

The safest way to clean it is just using some elbow grease. It's slow but it does give good results.

Note: Acids will also attack metal plug holes and generally give them a dull look over time.

Graham

Reply to
doozer

What are they and where can I buy them ?????

Reply to
davefennell2

All your base are belong to us.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Sixteen years ago too!

Reply to
Pamela

Yes, I would not mind if only they included the original query in the posting. I think if anyone really has any doubt there comes a time with all enamelled baths where the glaze goes an once its gone the surface will always be quite dull and rough, since the minute pits are where the limescale goes and eventually the actual paint itself then wears away. There do seem to be products to claim they can fix it, but at best its very short duration as the underlying issue is there and you cannot stove it while its in the bathroom!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa