Removing sand-cement cover from old pathway

After a bit of investigation with a bolster, it looks as if the previous owners of my house have sand and cemented over the original edwardian tiled path leading up to my front door (you know the style - lay a layer of cement/ sand over the existing tiles and make a "nice" half moon shape effect in the wet substrate). It looks like this has been done several times in the past.

I have no idea what sort of state the original tiles are in all along the path, but can anyone advise whether it is possible/worth the effort to try and reclaim them and relay, and can anyone advise on the best method to remove the sand/cement without completely destroying the underlying tiles?

Thx

JPN

Reply to
newtoj

Sounds like this is a segue into a caustic soda thread. We haven't had one of those for a while.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Somehow the brick acid ones are never as good

Reply to
Andy Hall

Brick acid. Lots of it, and a pressure washer.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Might help to know what sort of tiles these are. And thus whether minor surface damage could be resurfaced or not.

Is it practical to apply a ton of brick acid as was suggested? I've not tried bulk concrete destruction with it.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

It tends to loosen adhesion a bit so you can chip off whats left.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Depending on how hard the cement is, you can 'punish' it gently with a hammer.

It also depends on what is underneath..if its quarry tiles they can take a lot of pain without cracking.

Once you have cracks in the cement layer, the acid will work on those and possibly seep underneath. Thats what you are aiming for - not to totally dissolve the cement, but to loosen its grip.

Even if you can't get it to crack, chipping/grinding channels in it to focus the acid to get down to the tiles helps.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I imagine if the tiles were intact they wouldn't have been covered in cement

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Why not? It would go with the hardboard-covered doors and banisters and the stone cladding.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

will remember that

often there is fairly minor damage thats not so hard to fix. Coverups are often used by people that dont know how to do the proper job, dont care and cba.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Ah, it's the "people who don't know" again. I think you have a dim view of your fellow man

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Ans some people just don't like paved surfaces.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher