Removing paster before repapering?

I'm redecorating at the moment & have just stripped the (painted lining) paper from one room as it was torn in places.

I''m intending to put up new lining paper again & paint over it.

Should I remove the old paste from the walls (bare plaster - old building & the plaster's not in great condition but isn't cracked anywhere) and start fresh or can I just go over the top of the old paste.

If it makes any difference I would imagine the old lining paper has been up for a number of years (we've lived here for 3 but there were several coats of paint of different colours on the paper that came off).

Reply to
news004

If you want a nice flat finish I would lightly sand the area first or the ripples etc will show through.

Reply to
RW