Removing paint from walls?

The walls are solid, plastered walls which the builders slapped a coat of white emulsion on.
The previous owners papered the walls, which I have just removed. Great patches of the paint came off with the wallpaper leaving bare plaster.
I want to repaint the walls but need to remove all the loose paint. What is the easiest way to remove emulsion paint?
-- Regards, Alan.
Preserve wildlife - Pickle a SQUIRREL to reply.

I had exactly the same experience. I used a combination of large sander, and steam and scraping. On a wall that I was to paint deep red I got away with not removing all of the paint. NB. Make sure you prime / seal the plaster after you remove the emulsion. (does anyone know the difference between priming and sealing?).
Fool's Gold.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (fool's gold) wrote in message

Polycell basecoat helps to cover minor defects on the wall. I recently painted two bedrooms that had been papered for years. a coat of the basecoat helps hide minor imperfections. It's no subsitute for filling and sanding, but helps with the finish.
Marc

I presume priming means thinned emulsion and sealing is dilute PVA.
-- Regards, Alan.
Preserve wildlife - Pickle a SQUIRREL to reply.
I've always got away with applying a number of new coats of paint around the edges of the original paint to feather edge the bulges, 6-10 coats? Then applying the new paint. Much less work.
Regards capitol

By accident I discovered that methylated spirit softens and loosens emulsion. Brush it on, leave for fifteen minutes, then scrape.
Peter Scott