Removing paint from obscured glass

Got an over-door glass pane which some idiot managed to get paint on many years ago - very messy edges but not actually a very thick layer. The glass has a fine bobbly pattern which makes physical removal impossible.

Looking at the chemical paint strippers they all seem to have changed from when I last used any of them. (Yes - quite a few years.) The most appealing so far has been the Polycell Maximum Strength Paint Stripper.

Do you think this will do what is needed? Or am I better off replacing the glass (despite the effort that entails)? Or using a different product?

Reply to
polygonum

Trouble is you may have a problem keeping the paint stripper off the wood so may need a repaint. I had same issue in this house and just decided on spending 20 minutes each night until I got it all off. I used a combination paint scraper, steel wool, small brass brush and sharp pointy things to scrape it out, pain in the ass but got there eventually. As for replacing the glass if you are taking it out then you should be able to use something more potent to get the paint off and then just put the glass back in.

Reply to
ss

I'd use a stripper to soften it as much as poss. Caustic soda tackles oil paint. It will of course strip some of the frame paint too

NT

Reply to
NT

Get a roll of insulation tape and tape over the wood, then apply the stripper using a kids paint brush, also, wear marigolds and eye protection, this stuff hurts.[1] It will work - I stripped a steel radiator not long ago - it works better on steel and glass than it does on wood as it can only soak into the paint and not the underlying material.

[1]The fumes off it are no fun either
Reply to
Phil L

As does washing soda, which is a lot safer and easier to use

Reply to
stuart noble

If meth chloride based, it will make short work of Marigolds and other synthetic materials

Reply to
stuart noble

+1

Stripped a door with (old style) Nitromos wearing washing up gloves. It wasn't long before it had penetrated through enough for me to start feeling a chemical burning sensation. The gloves didn't fall apart but they were most definitely porous.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I thought that MC was now banned?

Reply to
polygonum

I think it's a trade only thing now. It probably isn't in the sheds any longer

Reply to
stuart noble

You can still buy it on eBay. Just not as paint stripper.

Reply to
Huge

How strong does it need to be before it attacks paint?

Reply to
The Other Mike

Ended up getting the paint remover I mentioned, slapped it on this morning. (Actually very carefully with a nicely angled paint brush.) Washed it off with water a couple or four hours later. Job done.

The smell is very strong to begin with but fades quite rapidly. And I managed to get within about 1 or 2 mm of the glass edge quite easily. And very much nicer than old Nitromors - no skin "burns"!

Wanted to remove and replace but the way it is fitted would have been a real nuisance - not simply removing a thin beading as it should be.

Reply to
polygonum