removing metal window frame

I am just about to replace my old metal windows, anybody done this before, the window in question has a wooden frame around it and then a metal window frame. I guess it is probably an angle grinder job to half the frame and then crowbar out. Any suggestions?

many thanks Jason

Reply to
Jason

You're more likely to move the frame than the window if you use a crowbar on it. Find the nails or screws which attach the metal to the wood, under copious amounts of old paint no doubt, and remove them.

Reply to
Dave Baker

To borrow a phrase from Mr Punch, "That's the way to do it"!

Done my house with metal framed windows. As previous contributor says, screws metal/ wood out, metal frame out, then cut wooden frame as needed in order to lever out by crowbar. Cut through centre of cill to give maximum leverage on joints in corners (my cills were oak). Don't lever on the edge of the bricks as this will cause them to spall, employ jemmy so as to lever somewhere near centre of outer leaf of brickwork.

You'll soon devise your best technique to suit your particular arrangement.

Reply to
Tickly

Make sure they're not load bearing in any way as some are. Have other houses in the street etc been done without problems?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks for all your help neither noticed any screws from metal to wood but they probably have about 30+ years of paint on them. Most houses in the street do not have them in now and i have asked about and they are not load bearing, just need some good weather now.

thanks

Reply to
Jason

I just replaced two metal windows in wooden frames with sash windows this week. The old sash box had been used as the wooden frame for the metal windows. The metal window was held in place against the front rebate of the sash by a lining of something like 2 inch * 3/4 inch softwood. I cold chiselled that out all round and the window simply popped out.

Maris

Reply to
Maris