Removing Lino Adhesive: Skarsten Scraper

I'm clearing some old lino tiles from my bedroom floor (so that it can be sanded). I'm having problems getting the adhesive up - basically it's sticky, gloopy & horrible. I think that the adhesive is possibly latex based and someone's recommended using a 'skarsten' scraper.

I haven't heard of them before but I've managed to find this "Skarsten Style Scraper" at

I'm not sure if this is the best tool for the job or if something like this "Bahco 440 Universal Scraper" at
would be better.

Any recommendations / experience would be welcome.

Regards,

Michael

Reply to
michaeld121

This scraper is a wood finishing tool. It is normally used to remove varnish from quality woodwork like doors and tables. It may be too delicate for your purpose. The blades also have little space for crap to collect so you will spend more time cleaning the blade than using it.

Reply to
EricP

We had the same problem in our bathroom. It was quicker in the end to replace the t+g floorboards and the wood was ready to go! Only cost about 50 quid.

Generally a skarsten is for drawing the grain out of wood for the final finish.

Thanks, Matthew

Reply to
Matthew

If you're going to try scraping the floor, go for the Bahco (Sandvik); it has tungsten carbide blades which are reversible, last longer than the Skarsten's steel blades, and can, if you have a diamond sharpening stone, be easily sharpened by honing the front of the blade (don't touch the bevel!).

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

Reading the replies it sounds like the scraper was recommended as the lino is glued directly to the floorboards and this type of scraper would be less likely to damage the floorboards than other methods.

Given the other reply it sounds like the Bahco / Sandvik scraper might be the better way to go. I think it's probably worth a try given how long it's taking using normal scraping / hot air.

Michael

Reply to
michaeld121