removing label glue

Servosol do an aerosol called "Label Remover", the can top has a small brush attached. Works very well on paper based labels - you wet them with it and leave for a few mins then they peel off clean.

It has a strong citrus smell so could well be based on the same stuff. I expect that CPC or Maplin will do it.

Reply to
John Rumm

WD40

Reply to
norm

That's where the talcum powder helps.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions (and the not so helpful ones ;o) )- Tried:

Nail Varnish Remover - this just softened the glue allowing me to smear it around the face :o(.

White Spirit - worked a treat!

Neither seems to have tarnished the Chrome.

Bert

Reply to
Bert

There was a thread on this on another group - many rated the 'sticky stuff remover' from Lakeland plastics.

Not tried it yet - usually give meths a go ... at removing labels that is, not drinking it :-)

Reply to
Rick Hughes

No organic solvent affects chrome.

Watch out for acid tho. Or possibly strong alkali.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What's wrong with just buying some label remover. That's what it's for

Reply to
geoff

Because it is expensive, and most D-I-Y'ers will have white spirit knocking about.

I have petrol, paraffin, diesel, white spirit, isopropyl alcohol, Xylene, acetone, and varuous other solvents easily to hand.

Going to the nearest town to locate and purchase 'label remover' would cost me about £10 for the round trip.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

White spirit doesn't always do the trick but it is still first I reach for. Some label can be a real b*****d.

Must confess we have an i.d label printed for us on specially selected 'non-removeable' stock. Not totally non removeable but still sufficient to resist casually peeling away.

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

I've remembered a never-fail and easy - if time consuming - way of removing ANY s.a. label. It has never failed me yet.

Simply smear the label with cooking oil. Mineral oil might do it, I've never tried.

Leave for at least a day. It will then slide off leaving a washable oily film.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Why do I have this sudden urge to post G&S / Tom Lehrer pastiches to uk.rec.sheds ?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Not JUST to uk.rec.sheds, I hope?

Reply to
S Viemeister

I use a small bottle I got from Kleeneze ages ago. Quite cheap, AFAIR.

It's an orangey oil - works really well.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Chrome bath / sink fittings seem to stand up to drain cleaning acid. I have seen it badly mark the gold coloured stuff though.

Reply to
Niall

Sheila, you're not suggesting cross posting are you? We have enough probs here thank you!

Mary :-)

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Nonono - I was just hoping that he'd share his lyrics with us.

Reply to
S Viemeister

You're here. Cut and paste if you want to share with others.

And I don't think I've wished you a Happy New Year yet so here it is! If I leave it much longer it will be Happy Easter ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Tom lehrer. Ah yes. Posioning pigeons in the park.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And a Happy New Year to you, too, Mary. I really must send those Christmas cards........

Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister

Bugger, you've got me thinking now...

I'll have to dig my Tom Lehrer LP out and play it tomorrow

Reply to
geoff