removing label glue

Last Ring product I bought (fluorescent striplight) had a live-to-earth fault. In typical fashion, I discovered this on the top of a stepladder.
-- Congrats to STBL on his elevation from TLA to ETLA

Meths.
On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 23:10:22 +0000 (UTC), Bert

WD40
Bert wrote:

)- Tried:
Nail Varnish Remover - this just softened the glue allowing me to smear it around the face :o(.
White Spirit - worked a treat!
Neither seems to have tarnished the Chrome.
Bert
Bert wrote:

No organic solvent affects chrome.
Watch out for acid tho. Or possibly strong alkali.

writes

--
geoff

geoff wrote:

Because it is expensive, and most D-I-Y'ers will have white spirit knocking about.
I have petrol, paraffin, diesel, white spirit, isopropyl alcohol, Xylene, acetone, and varuous other solvents easily to hand.
Going to the nearest town to locate and purchase 'label remover' would cost me about 10 for the round trip.

Why do I have this sudden urge to post G&S / Tom Lehrer pastiches to uk.rec.sheds ?
Andy Dingley wrote:

Not JUST to uk.rec.sheds, I hope?

Sheila, you're not suggesting cross posting are you? We have enough probs here thank you!
Mary :-)

Mary Fisher wrote:

You're here. Cut and paste if you want to share with others.
And I don't think I've wished you a Happy New Year yet so here it is! If I leave it much longer it will be Happy Easter ...
Mary

Mary Fisher wrote:

I really must send those Christmas cards........
Sheila
Andy Dingley wrote:

Tom lehrer. Ah yes. Posioning pigeons in the park.
writes

I'll have to dig my Tom Lehrer LP out and play it tomorrow
--
geoff

Chrome bath / sink fittings seem to stand up to drain cleaning acid. I have seen it badly mark the gold coloured stuff though.
--
Niall

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 20:05:12 +0000 (UTC), Bert

White spirit doesn't always do the trick but it is still first I reach for. Some label can be a real b*****d.
Must confess we have an i.d label printed for us on specially selected 'non-removeable' stock. Not totally non removeable but still sufficient to resist casually peeling away.
Paul Mc Cann

I've remembered a never-fail and easy - if time consuming - way of removing ANY s.a. label. It has never failed me yet.
Simply smear the label with cooking oil. Mineral oil might do it, I've never tried.
Leave for at least a day. It will then slide off leaving a washable oily film.
Mary

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 13:49:37 UTC, "Mary Fisher"

I use a small bottle I got from Kleeneze ages ago. Quite cheap, AFAIR.
It's an orangey oil - works really well.
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
There was a thread on this on another group - many rated the 'sticky stuff remover' from Lakeland plastics.
Not tried it yet - usually give meths a go ... at removing labels that is, not drinking it :-)