removing label glue

Page 1 of 2
I recently bought some Chrome sunken low-voltage lights (not my preference but the management insisted!). The manufacturer, who shall remain nameless ( ;o) ), has seen fit to place a clear sticky label on the 'display' face of each unit. After removing the label the glue remains, creating an unsightly look. Simple water has no effect. Anybody got any good tips on how to remove the glue?
BTW: Anyone know the address (email or snailmail) of Ring so I can see what they have to say for themselves?
On 01/01/2004 Bert opined:-

You can get a solution called something similar 'sticky stuff remover' from stationers that will take that off easily.
--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (Lap)

Label remover even
--
geoff

On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 23:10:22 +0000 (UTC), Bert

Methylated Spirits.

Ring Plc Gelderd Road Leeds West Yorkshire LS12 6NB Tel: (0113 276 7676)
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

I've found meths to remove 80 (?) % but then leave a residue that further rubbing just spreads about.
I do a *lot* of this at work and have given up alcohol and freon based solvents in favour of solvents based on D-Limonene which is a cheap waste product from the Orange Juice industry, essentially a turpentine from citrus trees. Farnell, RS, and Maplin all have solvents based on D-Limonene as do the usual proprietory suppliers such as Electrolube.
DG

FFS - label remover
--
geoff

derek wrote:

Servosol do an aerosol called "Label Remover", the can top has a small brush attached. Works very well on paper based labels - you wet them with it and leave for a few mins then they peel off clean.
It has a strong citrus smell so could well be based on the same stuff. I expect that CPC or Maplin will do it.
--
Cheers,

John.

On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 23:10:22 +0000 (UTC), Bert

Try white spirit
Paul Mc Cann

WD40

Seconded.
--
Our biggest problem is apathy - but who cares?

Mail john rather than nospam...
Bert wrote:

Have you tried white spirit or WD40, applied and rubbed in with a cotton bud?
Metheylated sprit or nail vanish remover are 2 usefull solvents for this type of gue.

You can dissolve gue? Damn, I wish I'd known.
On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 01:39:21 +0000, Huge wrote:

Since the whole 'team' has made a comment...
It's a bit like the Irish man who said '...to get there you don't want to start from here...' [1]
Two things that help. 1) Don't try to pull labels off when the fitting it cold/cool let it warm up. 2) Pull labels off very slowly (it cost more time to get it off with white Spirit if you rush it).
[1] I could not beleive the man actually said this to me - perhaps he was trying to play 'the part'? Along with it's "120 miles there and 120 miles back". (I could not imagine how it could be a very different distance to come back).
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

For such intractable stuff I sprinkle on talcum powder and rub it off with my fingers.
Mary

Didn't have any talc handy but managed with my fingers anyhow (on Ring chrome low voltage downlighters).
-- John Stumbles -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-|-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ -+ Thank God I'm an atheist
snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com says...

Have you tried baby wipes? They seem to remove most of this stuff. Problem is that some materials do react to the chemicals (methylated spirits and stuff) and you may end up with a discoloured area.
I normally rub these things with my thumb and end up with a sore thumb but it does come off eventually.
--
John Kelly

Remove dimspam if replying by mail

That's where the talcum powder helps.
Mary

Bert wrote:

First of all, if possible, never ever buy a Ring product again.
Secondly, almost any organic solvent - start with isopropyl alcohol (winscreen washer) thruch ehanol (gin is good) then petrol, white spirit and cellulose thinners (xylene/acetone).
These are arranged in what I have found to be strength od dissolving power.
In this case, being glas and metal underneath, I'd go straight for cellulose solvents. Nail varnish remover may be pulrloined from The Management, or buy a can of cellulose stuff from bulders merchants, or model shop.
On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 09:45:22 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Petrol is a bit smelly and greasy. Lighter fuel is slightly less smelly and evaporates completely and would be my first call for sticky label gunk removal. Works well on those labels the sheds stick on timber without leaving a mark or residue.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail