Removing GU10 lamps

Mate just chipped his new kitchen floor when a lamp fell out after he failed to twist it in far enough - I had to remove some glass 'shades' to remove a lamp last week. What is the best way of getting a good grasp of them to remove or fit them when they are recessed. I have some (Ikea) suckers which are fine with the 12 volt lamps but not much good for a twist.

Any tips for us?

Reply to
John

rubber glove?

Reply to
Toby

or one of those builders "grip gloves" with the rubberised mesh bonded to it.

Reply to
John Rumm

I ended up taking the fittings out of the recess and twisting them by their base.

If the ones you have are made by Osram, they will have an all-glass construction (no ceramic base) and be a complete pig to get out unless you remove the fitting. What is likely to happen is that as you push them and attempt to twist, even using a suction cup or similar, the front facing piece of glass will detatch from the rest of the lamp, leaving sharp edges onto which you are already pushing hard with your fingers. Cue much blood and cursing.....

This happened (well not the blood as I had got wise to it after the first couple and removed the fitting if I couldn't remove them easily otherwise) with 50% of the 28 lamps that I removed in our new house to replace with CFL GU10s....

Reply to
chunkyoldcortina

OP here - I found that GE lamps have 6 or 8 small ribs which give you a fighting chance to engage your finger nails to give it a twist.

Reply to
John