Removing gloss paint from skimmed plasterboard

Am refurbishing a bedroom, on removing a built in wardrobe I found that the internal sides were the actual wall gloss painted. Of course large areas of the paint are peeling, others are securely attached. How is the best way to deal with this please? The final finish will almost certainly be lined wall paper.

Reply to
Broadback

A sharp scraper, gloss comes off easy on plaster.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Why bother taking it off? I would recommend a quick rub down and paper straight over it.

Reply to
Rednadnerb

me too, especially if I was using vinyl

Reply to
.

Thanks Folks, I'll try the scraper first, if that is too laborious then I'll go for the second option. I was just worried that it might come loose at a later date and spoil the papering. Not vinyl though, we all have our likes and dislikes, my dislike is vinyl.

Reply to
Broadback

When I found gloss behind crap vinyl in my last house I got most off by gentle scoring, then wetting. The gloss peeled up at the scores enabling it to scraped off easily. A steam wallpaper stripper was very effective as well.

When done, filled any deep damage, sanded down, lined and papered.

Reply to
Ian_m