Removing gloss paint from fireplace bricks .. best way ?

What is the best way to remove gloss paint off a victorian(ish) fireplace. It is painted up to the wooden surround and right up to the mantlepiece. Beneath the paint are small red bricks.

Heat gun and scrape, or messy Nitromors ?

Mike P the 1st

Reply to
Mike P the 1st

Unless the bricks are glazed, then the surface will have absorbed some paint and you will never remove it all.

Angle grinder to cut back the surface??

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

We ended up having a painted brick fireplace (right up to the ceiling) sandblasted. It was about the only pactical way due to absorption of the paint - having tried Nitromors, etc.

Bloody messy, but then we were having the entire room redecorated anyway.

The finish was OK, but (obviously) the sandblasting ate into the brick reducing the depth. The mortar was harder than the brick so stood proud. I often considered hacking that back and then doing something to dull the (pale exposed) colour, but didn't get around to it before selling.

Reply to
Piers Finlayson

Neither of those would even begin to do it. You'd need to build a fire and put the bricks in it.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

"Mike P the 1st" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

You could apply a paint stripping poultice to the fire place then cover it with cling film and leave for a week or more before peeling off.

Get it from here:

mark