Removing Glass From Door

I have a wooden framed door containing two double glazed units - I need to remove the lower one. I have managed to remove the beading from the inside side and now it looks like the unit was also put in using putty so I don't seem to be able push the unit out from the outside.

What the easiest way to get the glass out now - scraping the putty out seemed difficult. Should I remove the beading from the other side? Smash the pane out (although I did want to use the original pane for the glazier to measure)?

TIA

Reply to
elziko

If it really is putty, heat softens linseed putty. If its silicone, that can be sliced, but I gather from what you say its real putty. No quickie option for that I'm afraid, tough stuff.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I did the installs for 4 stained glass panels last week.

Multimaster and the scraper blade 8-)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

A double glazed panel in a wood frame should be set in a flexible mastic - not ordinary putty as that will cause it to flex and fail. So it will require cutting round with a sharp knife - there should be plenty clearance between panel and wood for this.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If the putty has gone hard that is probably the reason the units failed, (So they say).

My units were installed 15 years ago with special butyl putty (I saw the fitters do it) which was not supposed to go hard. It had gone pot hard and two units either side of the door had failed due vibration consequent on door slamming.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

I had four replaced yesterday, the joiner used a soft rubber gasket specially made for re-fitting double glazed units in wooden frames.

The unit is apparently made slightly smaller and stood on spacers with a mini window sill that provides a drainage path beneath so that the unit can't sit in water.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard