removing gaffer tape from DG units

The idiots who made up my DG units have put gaffer tape all round the edges of the units to protect the edges from chipping during transit. Problem is I now need to get this gaffer tape off & its proving a real bitch because its stuck to the black stuff inbetween the two sheets of glass. I do I get this stuff off without destroying the middle bit of the units ?!?! I don`t particulary want to use some kind of solvent for fear of breaking the black seal between the sheets of glass.
Steve

edges
bitch
The black seal is probably polyurethane and will be resistant to solvents, but test a bit first. Short of using solvents you could use washing up liquid and try and work it under the edge, slow process though. I think you'd be best with a pure alcohol like Isopropanol as it will reactivate the adhesive, but add a little bit of oil of some kind in to the Isopropanol, as that should neutralise the adhesive from taking hold again once the isopropanol has evaporated.
Call up the company that supplied them and ask them. At least that way you are covered if they get damaged.
On 23 Aug 2003 05:46:59 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@iname.com (StealthUK) wrote:

Call the company that supplied them and ask for replacements ... if you can't remove the "protective" gaffer tape w/o risk of damage, then you've been supplied with goods that are pretty clearly not fit for purpose.
Julian
--
Julian Fowler
HOLD UP STEVE!!