Removing folding bath/shower doors

Hi,

I need to remove a 4-piece glass folding shower door that is fixed vertically next to the bath. On the wall is a vertically channel into which one side of the folding door is placed. Three screws were fixed through the channel into the door frame. I removed these screws and the door would not come out. I have taken a very sharp craft knife and slid it several (5?) times between the channel and the door frame. There initially felt some resistance to the knife which I guess was some kind of glue or mastic. Now the knife runs pretty freely between the channel on the wall and the door frame. I still cannot pull the door out. I have tried to level the door out from the channel at several places. The door moves slightly in the channel but then moves straight back into place once I stop levering. Is there some other =93trick=94 I need to remove these doors? I want to preserve and reuse the doors rather than wreck them as this is a remedial bathroom make-over due to falling tiles rather than an expensive revamp.

Regards

Clive

Reply to
Clive

Hi,

I need to remove a 4-piece glass folding shower door that is fixed vertically next to the bath. On the wall is a vertically channel into which one side of the folding door is placed. Three screws were fixed through the channel into the door frame. I removed these screws and the door would not come out. I have taken a very sharp craft knife and slid it several (5?) times between the channel and the door frame. There initially felt some resistance to the knife which I guess was some kind of glue or mastic. Now the knife runs pretty freely between the channel on the wall and the door frame. I still cannot pull the door out. I have tried to level the door out from the channel at several places. The door moves slightly in the channel but then moves straight back into place once I stop levering. Is there some other ?trick? I need to remove these doors? I want to preserve and reuse the doors rather than wreck them as this is a remedial bathroom make-over due to falling tiles rather than an expensive revamp.

Regards

Clive

Look down into the top of the channel, is there a screw holding the channel and the door edge together?

Peter

Reply to
Peter

I've fitted quite a few shower screens & they all seem to use the same fixing system - screws from the inside as you describe. I haven't come across any other system.

I reckon someone has overdone the silicone and used it on the rear of the channel. Silicone can be surprisingly strong. I think the clue is the frame moving back into place.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I agree on both counts (from my own experience). If this is the case I think your chances of dismantling it intact will be virtually nil, I'm afraid. I can't think of any way you could cut a seal within the channel at the back, if you can't lever the door out without breaking something.

David

Reply to
Lobster

If the OP can prize the top away & pour some silicone eater down the channel? Might take a few attempts.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

That all makes sense. I suppose its all a balance about fixing something securely in the hope you won't want to remove it intact in future.

I have chiseled right up to the tiles behind the fixing then I will tile up to the channel , then mastic the edge between old and new tiles. Should all be invisible and avoid the risk of breaking the glass doors. they are deeply unattractive but another thing I can't afford to replace.

Clive

Reply to
Clive