Removing emulsion paint from plaster

When built, our house walls were painted with emulsion paint. This hasn't bonded that well and, before redecorating each room, we've painstayingly scrapped it off. We are now on the last room (well actually the hall and stairs) where, in some places, the paint has adherred. Never the less, we are trying to remove it prior to redecorating (ie we want a good smooth surface).

Currently we are spraying with water to "soak it" and then scrapping. We know a steaming works but it can also cause the plaster to "blow".

Any ideas how to make this a little easier?

TIA

Brian

Reply to
Brian Reay

Just paint over it with a quality paint next time or better still come here and ask before you do it last week.

Go look at the 5 litre tubs of paint in a place like B&Q. Some will be cheap and say Trade or Ideal for New Work.

This is high opacity but poor quality. The idea is that it gives a good looking first go over that should last some 6 months. After that it dusts off. You can wipe it off with your hand.

The reason it is made like that is that it allows fresh plaster to breathe. High quality paint could "blow" whilst the fabric of the building is still wet.

I wonder how much the heating bills drop in the same season the year after a person moves into a new house. I don't suppose that could be quantified could it? Too many variables.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Try some homestrip......

diypaint