Removing DRM from BBC Radio downloads ?

I download occasional BBC Radio programmes for listening to in the car.

These auto delete after 30 days due to DRM

Is there a simple way of removing the DRM or re-saving the audio file as MP3 without the DRM ?

Reply to
rick

get-iplayer

Reply to
Adrian

You could try Get I Player

or have a look here.

Corporal Jones

sam

rick scribbled

It's going to become a larger problem in future

Reply to
Jonno

Bollocks

Helps if I include the details

Mozilla has released the first version of its Firefox browser to include support for Encrypted Media Extensions, a controversial World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) spec that brings digital rights management (DRM) to HTML5's video tag.

Reply to
Jonno

Plus Web PVR Manager - if you're running under Windows.

It makes life much easier.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

One of my NAS's downloads MP3's of various BBC Radio programmes as plain MP3's they stay until I delete them. I don't know of any "self destruct" mechanisium in the MP3 specification.

I guess you are downloading via the BBCs iPlayer thing. Now that does enforce the stupid 30 days and 7 day rules. I think it also places the downloads within a DRM wrapper.

A simple way is to download using the RSS Feed URL's found at:

A bit more complex is getiplayer, I use that for downloading TV programmes to a Raspberry Pi running Kodi/OSMC media player.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

BBC Podcast download is not really suitable for many radio programmes - it works fine for a lot of speech based Radio 4 programmes but if the radio programme contains much music that is often stripped out in the podcast - leaving you with just the speech bits. Bit of a cheek calling it a podcast IMHO.

And it works just as well for radio to download the simple MP3 file. (as someone else has said the Web PVR manager works a treat in windows)

Reply to
CB

En el artículo , Sam Plusnet escribió:

This seems to have stopped working - refreshing the cache brings up 0 programmes. Might just be me?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Mike Tomlinson escribió:

Scratch that, installed the latest version and now OK.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I'll get it and try

Reply to
rick

I have i-player .... does get-iplayer allow download and remove DRM ?

Reply to
rick

what does Web PVR manager provide that get-iplayer doesn't ?

Reply to
rick

Yes. That's exactly what it does.

Reply to
Adrian

An easy to use front end which means you don't have to wrestle with the Command Line stuff in order to download Radio & TV programmes.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

OK ... that sounds better, I'll take al ook

Reply to
rick

You could try Total Recorder

It's not free but I've used it for 15 years.

It records off the PC sound card or software and is also good for capturing music/speech off a microphone or USB audio interface.

rusty

Reply to
therustyone