Removing chiselling marks from slate floor

I've just had a load of riven slate laid (I wish I'd got the time to DIY because it would have been more satisfying and better, but I don't have the time any more!), and the tiler has laid a couple of tiles that I would have discarded - they've got gouge marks on. Is there a good way of removing these? I vaguely recall that someone on here used an angle grinder to remove a large bump, and the result was good, but can't find the original thread... If no one's done it, I will practice on a discard and report back...

Reply to
Ben Blaukopf

You may find that once "run in" they become less obvious, and more part of the natural finish. If you were to grind, you should need to be prepared to follow up with several finer grades of abrasive to conceal the grinding marks.

If they are really deep is there any scope for filling?

Are you leaving them natural, or sealing and polishing?

Reply to
newshound

late laid (I wish I'd got the time to

Not really - but out of curiosity how would you fill slate? Grindings from the cutter mixed with something?

Sealing with Lithofin Stainstop Plus.

Reply to
Ben Blaukopf

Epoxy adhesive with a suitably coloured filler. In principle "powdered slate" might work. In practice the colour match does not have to be all that good when repairing "natural" materials especially on things like work surfaces where it is the "roughness" which is most noticed. There might be a "Milliput" with a suitable colour.

Especially if sealed or varnished so that the original and the repair have the same sort of gloss or sheen.

On a floor with heavy traffic or repeated washing it might not last forever.

Reply to
newshound