removing built in wardrobes

All, We are about to move flat, and the destination has some nasty built in wardrobes and dressing table in the bedroom. I didn;t get a chance to get a good look at them to see how they are constructed when we view ther house; however, the wife is insisting they go (and I very much agree !!). How are these things normally attached ?? The term 'built in' makes me think that they are attached to the wall, however are these things just generally built to fit the space and left free standing ?? Hopefully it will be case of undoing a load of screws and taking it apart - I dont want to find a load of holes in the walls !

Also, assuming I can get them out in a state that would allow them to be re-built, is it worth trying to sell them, are they worth anything ?? Otherwise, I'll be skipping them. They are pretty new - about 3 years and look to be in good condition.

Reply to
NC

"The term 'built in' makes me think that they are attached to the wall, however are these things just generally built to fit the space and left free standing ?? " [..]

ours (I mean the previous owners) were damn ugly Sigma3 units and where screwed to the back and side walls, the floor and ceiling joists (god knows why). taking them out was a breeze, just undid the screws and took each unit out separately, then through them out the 3rd story bedroom window into the garden (read waste land)... that was the fun bit (c;

now for the shitty bit... making good the mess that was the blown plaster damp wall behind them.

LJ

Reply to
in2minds

I'd knock them flat and stack the panels. Always handy for shelves in the loft/shed/kids room.

Reply to
stuart noble

Totally depends on what they are and who fitted them.

Generally you can smash em with a sledge and reveal the bits left sticking to the wall, which, with luck, will unscrew, or just fall out.

A bit of making good and a redecorate which you will want to do anyway - is faster than being clever about it and tryong to work out how to dismantle.

Save the smashed bits for Nov 5th.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hello NC

It'll probably be fixed to the wall at some point, but as to taking it apart - from your description it could be a flatpacked one, a bodgers self-made or a craftsman one, huge difference.

For example, in this place I had a wide variety of "home made" fitted furniture. This was fixed in place with straight screws, nails and crosshead screws, all three often on the same joint. Mr Clawhammer sorted it all out, though, followed by his good friends Mr Plastering Trowel and Mr Paintbrush. Yours probably isn't as bad, given that /most/ people wouldn't fix a cupboard to a plastered cinderblock wall with a dozen 4" nails.

If flatpacked, forget it. IME, flatpacked stuff just does not sell 2nd hand (and I've tried to flog a lot of it). With good reason, most of it is poor quality and the joints don't go back together very well. Wobbly is the symptom of flatpack furniture re-assembled. Smaller stuff will go 2nd hand, like TV cabinets, bedside tables when assembled (so they can see what they're buying), but even there I've had to sell them for 2-3 quid each just to be shot. Bonfire or landfill, I reckon.

Reply to
Simon Avery