Removing borders

I've been busy doing some wallpaper stripping in a flat I just moved into. I've managed to remove the normal wallpaper and backing but the person whoever lived there before has put a border over the wallpaper and painted over it and not mater how hot or much soapy water I use I cannot scrap it off ?

Any ideas on how to remove this stuff ?

Reply to
Stephen

In message , Stephen writes

Can you scratch the surface?

Many years ago I had an early attempt at a glue spreader tool. This had a stiff steel blade with coarse triangular serrations and was ideal for scratching the paper surface without damaging the plaster.

You might be able to knock one up from a discarded hard point saw (using your angle grinder:-)

Water can then soak into the paper and soften the glue.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Stephen submitted this idea :

Stanley knife and make lots of score marks through the paint onto the paper, to allow the water to penetrate.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Angle grinder? Pressure washer? ;-)

But seriously, score it well and use a steam stripper, Earlex or similar. Steam strippers are very effective, and with other accessories they can be useful for a lot of other household and DIY tasks.

Reply to
Bruce

Scrape a handsaw sideways across the painted paper, to scratch the paint. Spray water on it, allow to soak in then use a steamer.

Reply to
Matty F

Or a tiger claw that makes multiple holes in the border to let the water through. Ask about them in a proper decorating store.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Yes, they work very well, and you're less likely to damage the plaster with one of those.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Be careful with a steamer if the wall is plasterboard!

Reply to
John

Or if the plaster is old and tired. It can pop the finish coat off.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Or even at B&Q!:

they're really good and is what the OP needs.

David

Reply to
Lobster

In message , Stephen writes

Go forth and multiply.

My son, when small, loved peeling borders off, and I've no idea why :-)

Reply to
Graeme

Because even he thought they were hideous :)

Although my daughter was the same with the wallpaper in the hallway should loved picking it and pulling it!

Reply to
Stephen

Appreciate all the posts. I get a scorer and a steamer and hopefully that will get the suckers off!

Reply to
Stephen