Removing border glue

I have removed the paper backing of a border (the previous owners just took the top layer off) that is on a painted wall. Now I am left with a sticky glue, the kind that is left behind from sticky labels, not wallpaper paste.

How do I remove the glue without damaging the paint below? I intend to paint the walls, and would like a clean finish without a textured line from the glue. There is about 20-25m to do.

Thanks

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

Meths should do it ok but do test a small patch first.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Thanks. I was thinking something solventy, but thought with the large area it was a bad idea.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

I would use an aerosol sticky label remover with orange peel extract (limonene) as the active ingredient.

This will not smell as bad as meths and is not so bad for your hands either!

part no: 87-0655

or Lawson HIS

you can get it from your local pound shop, even better.

Reply to
Dave Osborne

I find white spirit is good for self-adhesive residues.

Dave W

Reply to
Dave W

Agreed. Isn't it amazing how e.g. B&Q unerringly stick these labels on the front surface of things like brushed aluminium trim. White spirit is about the best for removing them without leave any trace.

Toom

Reply to
Toom Tabard

I'd try white spirit first. It works with some self adhesives. Or label remover - you'll get that from the likes of Maplin.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Even worse on planed wood or mouldings, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We moved into an empty house about a month ago. The plumber put "do not use" tape on the brass fire surround, toilet seats, boiler etc. Don't know if it was meant to be security tape, but it left the white sticky backing behind (been stuck on for a year). Made a nice black flock "do not use" on the toilet lid where I sat to drain the radiator and it took the fluff off my jeans.

I ended up using T cut on the brass, and replacing the toilet seats with nice warm wooden ones. I also found out that Zippo lighter fluid no longer removes sticky residue.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

Someone has to ask - why the toilet seat (in particular)?

Reply to
Bob Mannix

I can understand the toilet seat (meaning the toilet plumbing isn't working?) but why would a /plumber/ label a brass fire surround?

Reply to
<me9

Because the water was off. The seat was actually taped down with it.

Because the gas was off. Not exactly dangerous or damaging like a dry boiler. Then again, neither were the taps...

Nice of him to leave 3 radiator air vents open as well (without stickers!) - good job the one I checked was one of the 3!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith