Removing a pantry.

Hi,

I wonder if anyone has ever removed a block built pantry from a 1950's built house/bungalow?

Are there any real problems I might encounter that I cant see?

I am hoping its just stuck in there in the corner but could it be built through the floor or ceiling or anything? The floor is wooden floorboard btw ( including in the pantry).

I would like mine removed but "demolition man" is is worried it might bring the walls down. I think its just two walls built on after the house was put up. Its in the corner of the kitchen

Its a bug hole and a spider trap and cobweb trap and the shelves are so deep and inaccessible it is no use. Was planning on getting big freezer for the space. and I want it out really. ( old freezer has given up the ghost)

Also, there is a light switch on the one wall ( light in pantry). Its original - would that pose a problem?

Thanks for all good advice.

Reply to
sweetheart

[...]

Check the room above and see if there is anything being supported.

Many moons ago some friends and I removed a mid mounted pantry in a mates house when doing a "Refurb".

2 brick walls between two rooms, light in the middle on ceiling. Bugger all above supported Isolated supply, removed light fitting, disconnected the cables and traced from floor above where they terminated and removed. Application of some 14lb sledge hammers and within 5 minutes the ensuing pile of rubble and dust was being wheelbarrowed into the old pond at the end of the garden by other willing volunteers. 4 beers each later me and a mate started on the upstairs ceilings too.... You can't stop an engineer on a mission with a sledge in his hand ;-)
Reply to
Nthkentman

No-one can say until the work commences or at least some plaster has been stripped off the interior walls.. If the building was added on, and added on correctly, the blockwork should have been "toothed" in to the existing.

If not, it will make demolition much easier.

Any services need to be removed before demolition starts.

If your "demolition man" doesn't know this, you need another one.

Reply to
harry

I've done exactly that when refurbishing an ex-council property in which the pantry sounds just the same as yours. Pretty sure it would have been an original feature of the house.

In my case, after careful investigation (including lifting the floorboards from the room directly above the pantry) it emerged that the pantry didn't have any structural input to the house (and the ceiling joists ran right over it, not in contact with the blockwork at all) so it was very straightforward to knock it down.

That said, there's certainly no guarantee that yours is the same so of course you'll have to investigate thoroughly. But there's a good chance it will be OK...

No, but the cables will need tracing back and isolating safely (above the kitchen ceiling, presumably) before demolition starts.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Can you check with a couple of neighbours and see if they have a ` pantry`

Reply to
ss

Make a biggish hole in the ceiling near the top of the pantry wall and have a look through. You'll be able to see if the masonry is supporting the joists or if they just pass across. Double check that the end of the joists in the external wall are properly located in the masonry. Obviously you'll also be able to see if the pantry wall is supporting anything on the floor above.

You need a better man.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Are you offering? I know my man can look for excuses, hence my questions - anyway, he has started the job this afternoon ( but all thats gone so far are the shelves. and door)

Reply to
sweetheart

No near neighbours. No neighbours with a bungalow like ours. Nearest were

1980 build. Ours was a one off.
Reply to
sweetheart

No-one can say until the work commences or at least some plaster has been stripped off the interior walls.. If the building was added on, and added on correctly, the blockwork should have been "toothed" in to the existing.

If not, it will make demolition much easier.

Any services need to be removed before demolition starts.

If your "demolition man" doesn't know this, you need another one.

My demolition man can make jobs where there are none ( just to prove to me I should not ask him todo it). However, he is a good electrician and he has sorted the switch this afternoon. All other wires it seems are on the back wall and in the roof.

Reply to
sweetheart

I have just checked the building regs and pantrys are OK to be demolished no matter what type of building you live in.

HTH

Reply to
ARW

What about bridge supports? Holds up a lot of bridges, yer pantry does.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Hi You don't specify house or bungalow so this may be useless if I remove the wall from my small pantry in the corner of the kitchen the stairs will fall down as the wall supports the header at one side. But a simple hole in the pantry roof will confirm any doubts. HTH CJ

Reply to
CJ

It's a bungalow - Sweetheart has nothing upstairs.

Reply to
ARW

A bit harsh. :-)

Reply to
polygonum

hey!! don't forget the goats...

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

She might end up with a visible pantry line, though.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

In which case just send someone up in the loft and look for the walls (or lack of). CJ

It's a bungalow - Sweetheart has nothing upstairs.

Reply to
CJ

Just to update this. Demolition man got the job done ( took him three days to knock out all the blocks one by one with minimum damage. The blocks were not hooked into the wall so relatively straightforward, except once he did it I realized how much mould, damp and condensation there really was in there - and now the wall is the major source of condensation in the kitchen.

I have to sort this problem with more than a dehumidifier!

Got the freezer in anyway .

OH is now suffering from lump hammer arm and rheumatism - maybe now he will deal with the cold and damp issues instead of being " Mr. Eco"

Reply to
sweetheart