Removing a door fitted with a door closer

I need to remove a couple of (internal) doors in a flat in order to take a bit off the bottom to clear a newly fitted carpet. The doors have door closers fitted - the type with a "bicycle type" chain running between and through two plates, one in the door and one in the frame on the hinge side. Last time I did this I had a real struggle getting the closer plates back in position against the pull of the spring.

Any advice on the best way of tackling this?

Thanks, David.

Reply to
DavidM

you need to lock of the chain,a clip is normaly provided or use a small mole grips

Reply to
ALex

a mole wrench. Or better still don't refit the pesky things.

Reply to
djc

I hate these bloody things. They remind me of Arkwrights till on Open All Hours. Just waiting to mangle your fingers.

Open the door as much as possible so the spring is at full extension & slip a nail or similar through the links of the chain where it enters the door. Close the door slightly & the tension should be gone.

Don't be tempted to remove it or leave it unconnected - they are there for fire safety reasons.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

But building regs have changed so they are no longer required. Probably because a door propped open most of the time is more of a fire risk than a door that stays where it is put. If a closer is really required fit a proper one.

Reply to
djc

Thanks to all for the tips, but I'm still going to put some sticking plasters in my toolbox next time! David.

Reply to
DavidM