Removing a ?close-coupled? toilet

Hi all

My mate wonders if uk.d-i-y can help:

He needs to remove a (?)close coupled toilet in order to renew the floor and can't see a way to disassemble it. He says it's somewhat similar to this one:

where I see that it's described as a "back-to-wall" toilet. The soil pipe and the water supply are completely hidden.

Is there a trick ... rephrase that: _what_ is the trick to disassembling WCs like this?

Cheers John

p.s. Before sending this I scanned the d-i-y group history and found no answer, though I did find some entertaining and/or disgusting threads!

Reply to
Another John

Take the lid off the tank, it is secured to the wall with two or three screws along the top edge. Look under the tank, you will see a couple of nuts (often wing nuts) that secure the tank to the bowl. The bolts pass through the bowl. At least, thisi s the normal way it is done.

Reply to
harryagain

Yes - thanks Harry, but I now think that my terminology is definitely wrong: I think you're describing a standard "close-coupled" toilet, whereas I should have asked about a "back-to-the-wall" toilet: you can see that I have learned a little since I first posted!

TMH has given us what we think we need to know: detach from floor, and pull away from the wall -- presumably hoping that you don't empty half a soil pipe on to the floor in so doing?!

Cheers John

Reply to
Another John

That's not a close coupled toilet then ;-)

Usually there are a couple of bolts that hold it against the wall. On the ones that hang from the wall and do not reach the floor at all, these can be fairly substantial and transfer all the load to a frame that is hidden behind the "wall".

Reply to
John Rumm

When you build these things you normally have to erect all the gubbins for the cistern, and the mounting frame, and then leave the pipes ready to push into the back of the pan once the wall is built.

The WC connector ought to be after the water trap in the pan, an so should not have too may undesirables ready to leap out at you (unless the reason for removal is for blockage clearance, in which case YMMV ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Reasonably vigorous use of the toilet brush will push much of the water in the u-bend out, so that you won't spill it when you detach the toilet afterwards.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Wet and dry vac will take it all out. Also empty the cistern fully. Always worth having one to hand for such jobs.

Reply to
newshound

OP here: many thanks to all posters: we are now armed for the fray: I'll let you know how we get on! (Or rather how my mate gets on -- he's on his own for this one, which is replacing a rotted bathroom floor in a house a hundred miles away. (Thinks ...... wonder whythe bathroom floor's rotted?????..........)

John

Reply to
Another John

Are the joists okay?

Reply to
GB

No - he knows that already: that's why *everything* has to come out (and up) :-(

J.

Reply to
Another John

+1