Removing a boiler flue cap

A friend is trying to remove the cover of her boiler flue as ivy has grown into it. Are these all easy to remove? I'm not there myself so I don't know what it looks like. I think if she can get the cover off, she can pull the ivy out.

Reply to
Major Scott

n into it. Are these all easy to remove? I'm not there myself so I don't kn ow what it looks like. I think if she can get the cover off, she can pull t he ivy out. -- Using Opera's revolutionary email client: http://www.opera.c om/mail/

Not sure if this type of work requires SURE SAFE or CORGI regs working on e xhaust flues

Reply to
Kipper at sea

into it. Are these all easy to remove? I'm not there myself so I don't know what it looks like. I think if she can get the cover off, she can pull the ivy out.

-- Using Opera's revolutionary email client:

Just removing some ivy, that's all, not touching the gas or anything. How to remove the cover?

Reply to
Major Scott

I think the potential danger is Carbon Monoxide which is why it might be a good idea to get CORGI.

I thought there wasn't a legal requirement for CORGI when working on your own boiler. Has this changed?

Reply to
Nick

What sort of flue? (i.e. concentric pipe, old stainless square cage etc)

Reply to
John Rumm

There is a legal requirement that anyone working on gas appliances be competent to do so. There is a further requirement that if doing so in a business capacity (i.e. for reward), that the operative be Gas Safe registered (CORGI are no longer the approved organisation for the purpose).

Reply to
John Rumm

No idea, not seen it. I will ask for a photo.

Reply to
Major Scott

The boiler is a Worcester 24i combi if that helps.

Reply to
Major Scott

CO in the garden? The exhaust gases go outside. And removing Ivy isn't going to make that worse. If anything it would make it better.

In today's nanny society, probably.

Reply to
Major Scott

FFS, my boiler, my rules.

Reply to
Major Scott

I've been told "it's a metal ring, with an inner metal ring....& the wood is jammed between the 2 rings...."

Reply to
Major Scott

jammed between the 2 rings...."

Like this one, the ivy has grown between the inner and outer part.

Major Scott

Hmmmm...weren't you trolling away on uk.legal.moderated the other day?

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

Has Lieutenant Scott received a promotion?

Reply to
S Viemeister

I was asking a question and still haven't seen a single reference to any legal ruling. Just two conflicting opinions.

Reply to
Major Scott

Indeed.

Reply to
Major Scott

r Scott wrote: >>> On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 17:05:27 -0000, Kipper at sea >>> wrote: >>> >>>> On Wednesday, March 6, 2013 4:57:2

9 PM UTC, Major Scott wrote: >>>>> A friend is trying to remove the cover o f her boiler flue as ivy has >>>>> grown into it. Are these all easy to rem ove? I'm not there myself so >>>>> I don't know what it looks like. I think if she can get the cover >>>>> off, she can pull the ivy out. -- Using Ope ra's revolutionary email >>>>> client:

the gas or anything. >>> How to remove the cover? >> >> I think the potent ial danger is Carbon Monoxide which is why it might be >> a good idea to ge t CORGI. >> >> I thought there wasn't a legal requirement for CORGI when wo rking on >> your own boiler. Has this changed? > > There is a legal require ment that anyone working on gas appliances be > competent to do so. There i s a further requirement that if doing so in a > business capacity (i.e. for reward), that the operative be Gas Safe > registered (CORGI are no longer the approved organisation for the purpose). FFS, my boiler, my rules. -- Us ing Opera's revolutionary email client:

It doesn?t matter whose boiler it is, if any of the seals are ruptured an d course an exhaust fumes leak that?s were the danger is. Any movement on the twin wall flue can cause a leak. Even the Ivy growth can cause damage.

Reply to
Kipper at sea

I was not discussing your boiler in particular - just answering Nick's question.

If you believe yourself to be competent to do the work, then go for it. Might mean one less knob on usenet.

Reply to
John Rumm

0, Major Scott wrote: >>> On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 17:05:27 -0000, Kipper at = sea >>> wrote: >>> >>>> On Wednesday, March 6= , 2013 4:57:29 PM UTC, Major Scott wrote: >>>>> A friend is trying to re= move the cover of her boiler flue as ivy has >>>>> grown into it. Are th= ese all easy to remove? I'm not there myself so >>>>> I don't know what = it looks like. I think if she can get the cover >>>>> off, she can pull = the ivy out. -- Using Opera's revolutionary email >>>>> client: http://w= ww.opera.com/mail/ >>>> >>>> Not sure if this type of work requires SURE= SAFE or CORGI regs working >>>> on exhaust flues >>> >>> Just removing = some ivy, that's all, not touching the gas or anything. >>> How to remov= e the cover? >> >> I think the potential danger is Carbon Monoxide which= is why it might be >> a good idea to get CORGI. >> >> I =

your own boiler. Has this changed? > > There is a legal requirement tha= t anyone working on gas appliances be > competent to do so. There is a f= urther requirement that if doing so in a > business capacity (i.e. for r= eward), that the operative be Gas Safe > registered (CORGI are no longer= the approved organisation for the purpose). FFS, my boiler, my rules. -=

- Using Opera's revolutionary email client:

ruptured and course an exhaust fumes leak that=E2=80=99s were the danger= is. Any movement on the twin wall flue can cause a leak. Even the Ivy g= rowth can cause damage.

You'd smell it. I can smell the fumes when I walk past the vent in my d= rive. If I smelt that in the kitchen I'd know about it.

-- =

You need only two tools in life. WD-40 and duck tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

Reply to
Major Scott