Removing a back boiler - what to do with the flue?

Hi. I'm removing an old Baxi back-boiler at the back of the living room fireplace. It's a old propane powered one; I've just had a new mains gas boiler installed in the kitchen. I've disconnected all power and pipes to the old boiler of course.

There is a flue liner (corrugated metal tube) running up through the chimney. The top of the chimney has a metal cap with side vents and presumably the liner is attached to the inside.

My problem is what to do with the liner. When I remove the old boiler, the bottom of the liner (which is fastened to a metal plate) will just be hanging there. Do I need to support it while removing the boiler? Do I nee to support it afterwards or can it safely be left hanging ?

FWIW I plan to board up the front of the fireplace and include some ventilation.

Thanks

Reply to
Steve

Steve wibbled on Sunday 07 February 2010 15:03

Leave it for the moment - it won't fall out, but see below:

I also removed an old Baxi back boiler - watch your back, the heat exchanger is a solid bastard.

Liner - it won't do any harm to leave it in place and it is adequately supported from the top, but you may find the wind plays tunes on it (ours did, until the liner was replaced with a stove grade one).

In which case you'll probably want to take it out as it can get very annoying, even though that will mean a trip o the roof...

Wait for a windy day to see if it's a problem or not...

Reply to
Tim Watts

would bunging the bottom end be a stopgap against the whistling?

JimK

Reply to
JimK

I left my old flue in place. It acts as a megga phone for pigeons on the chimney. It will have to go this summer.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

JimK wibbled on Sunday 07 February 2010 15:17

It might mess up the ventilation.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Probably not - take a piece of tube and blow across the top. It makes no difference whether the bottom end is blocked or not.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Should be some insulation between the liner and the brick flue, it may be loose and come down. Flog the back boiler on E-Bay, lots of people are after them now as additional heating.

Reply to
Onetap

Thanks for replies chaps. Very helpful.

Reply to