Removing 100hz pulsing from mains lighting

The background is that I've been trying out a Canon Powershot digital camera on a tripod with the Canon Zoombrowser software that lets the camera be controlled from a computer via the USB.

This works well but illuminating the subject (a ragbag of documents and old pictures) with desk lights using ordinary GLS lights gives a visible pulsing of light which can be seen in the monitor due to the

50Hz mains frequency. [which means 2 flashes per sec or 100Hz] This isn't ideal as it clashes with typical camera exposure speeds.

SFAIUI professional copystand lighting is expensive, so looking for a method of obtaining a smoothed light.

One possibility would be DC lighting, but it needs to be quiite bright.

Another possibility might be flourescent lighting - but does phosphor coating on the tube provides some lighting persistance?

Any views on feasibility of either (& how to achieve it) or any other suggestions would be most appreciated.

TIA

Reply to
jim

Fluorescent is much worse in this respect. I used to use a twin 8' fitting for photos, just picked suitable slowish exposure speeds. If you want to get rid of 100Hz for quicker shutter speeds, the simplest solution is high current filament lamps. High current means thick filament means lots of thermal inertia. So we're talking 500w halogen, or 12v 50w halogens.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Ordinary fluorescents are worse than incandescents. Have you tried low power fluorescents? They are switched electronically at high frequency and should avoid the problem. John

Reply to
jks

If you go for lights with electronic ballasts then the fliker rate will be in the kHz rather than the 10s of Hz

These are quite cheap, work nicely, and have a good colour temp:

John Rumm

I'd be surprised if what you're seeing is indeed the lights varying in intensity. It's more likely to be something to do with the monitor.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I wouldn't. I have a tacho that works on ac components of light. Its unusable in artificial light. Even incandescent. Only way to use it is with a torch...

I'd advise LV halogens fed of a regulated DC power supply.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher